Learn Mandarin – big universities in the U.S

In Today’s Mandarin course, we will learn about big universities in the U.S.

Todd: Now, Michael, I think you grew up California, right?

托德:迈克尔,你是在加利福尼亚州长大的,对吧?

Mike: No, I didn’t.

迈克:不是。

Todd: You didn’t!

托德:你不是吗?

Mike: No.

迈克:不是。

Todd: I thought you were from Santa Barbara.

托德:我以为你来自圣芭芭拉。

Mike: No, no. I was born in Cincinnati and I grew up, I grew up there and I lived from my teenage years in Michigan.

迈克:不是。我出生在辛辛那提,我是在那里长大的,之后我在青少年时期搬去了密歇根州。

Todd: You’re kidding.

托德:开玩笑的吧。

Mike: So I’m a Midwesterner.

迈克:我是中西部人。

Todd: wow, I didn’t know that. I thought you were a fellow Californian native like me.

托德:哇,我还真不知道这些。我以为你和我一样是加州人。

Mike: No, I’ve been here about ten years, but not native to this state, no.

迈克:不是,我来加州有十年的时间了,不过我并不是加州人。

Todd: Well, so what, you lived in Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio.

托德:你在俄亥俄州辛辛那提生活过。

Mike: Cincinnati Ohio.

迈克:对,俄亥俄州辛辛那提。

Todd: And Michigan.

托德:也在密歇根州生活过。

Mike: And in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

迈克:在密歇根州的安娜堡。

Todd: Oh, you went to the University of Michigan?

托德:你念的是密歇根大学吗?

Mike: Yeah, I graduated from the University of Michigan.

迈克:对,我是从密歇根大学毕业的。

Todd: That’s a good school.

托德:那是一所不错的大学。

Mike: It’s a great school. Yeah, it’s huge though. I think, you know, that’s one thing when you come out of high school, and you go into this huge university, it’s such a different environment. Like I remember the first year, I was pretty lost in how big everything was.

迈克:是一所很棒的大学,非常大。你知道,你离开高中然后进入这所庞大的大学,环境非常不同。我记得大一时因为学校太大,我经常迷路。

Todd: Now, Michael, a lot of people don’t know about American football, but at your university, the university of Michigan, football is huge. Can you describe a typical Saturday football game? Like what happens at the stadium? What do students do?

托德:迈克尔,许多人不了解美式橄榄球,而密歇根大学是美式橄榄球领域的佼佼者。你能形容一下周六进行的典型美式橄榄球比赛吗?体育场会发生什么?学生们会做什么?

Mike: Well, yeah, the stadium at Ann Arbor, at the University of Michigan, I think it holds a 102,000 people. Something like that. It’s one of the biggest in the country.

迈克:密歇根大学位于安娜堡,我想体育场大概能容纳10.2万名观众。差不多是这样。那是美国最大的体育场之一。

Todd: That’s mammoth.

托德:真的很大。

Mike: And every game is sold out. It is, it’s an incredible event, so yeah, all Saturdays are abuzz with excitement for the home games, and it’s just a very big deal. The whole Michigan football program just generates a lot of excitement, generates a lot of money, right, and you know, to tell the truth, though, back when I went to Michigan, I wasn’t a big football fan.

迈克:所有比赛的门票都会销售一空。那是令人难以置信的比赛,每周六的主场比赛都非常令人激动,那是重大的赛事。密歇根的橄榄球运动可以激动人心,当然也能带来许多收益,说实话,我搬去密歇根州的时候并不是很热衷于橄榄球。

Todd: Oh, you weren’t.

托德:哦,你以前不感兴趣。

Mike: I actually never went to a home game.

迈克:实际上我从未去主场看过比赛。

Todd: No, really.

托德:真的吗?

Mike: People ask me that and they can’t believe it because,

迈克:人们听到我这么说的时候都表示他们不敢相信,因为……

Todd: No way.

托德:不可能吧。

Mike: It’s such a big deal.

迈克:因为橄榄球是非常重要的比赛。

Todd: Yeah.

托德:对。

Mike: But you know, I was more of like a, I don’t know what you call it, kind of hippie at the time, and we kind of distinguished between the jocks and, you know people who were interested in sports and the people who were interested in, what, culture of something like that, so I, at that time I wasn’t into the football. I think now if I went back, I would love to see a football game.

迈克:可是你知道,不知道你们是怎么称呼这种情况的,我当时有点像嬉皮士,我们会和那些运动员、对体育感兴趣的人还有对文化感兴趣的人区分开来,所以我当时不太喜欢橄榄球。不过如果要是回到那个时候,我很想去看场橄榄球比赛。

Todd: Yeah. That’s interesting. Man.

托德:嗯,这很有意思。

Mike: But the Wolverines, the Michigan Wolverines, you know and a big source of pride for the University of Michigan.

迈克:你知道密歇根大学狼獾队一直是密歇根大学的骄傲。

Todd: Well, thanks for sharing that.

托德:嗯,谢谢你和我们分享这些。

Mike: Sure.

English Course in Hong Kong – University Life

外国友人想移居亚洲?可能需要多准备点钱

hong kong rental price chart

全球知名咨询公司美世近日发布了城市消费排行榜。调查显示,香港超越了罗安达成为外国移居者消费最高的城市。东京和苏黎世分列第二和第三位,新加坡比去年上升了一位名列第四。这也就意味着世界上消费最高的五座城市中有四座在亚洲。

6月24日,参赛龙舟队在比赛中。当日,由香港旅游发展局主办、中国香港龙舟总会合办的年度盛事活动“香港龙舟嘉年华”在维多利亚湾中环海滨落幕。新华社记者李鹏摄

Just landed that job in your company’s Asia office? Now’s the time to start renegotiating your salary.

要去公司的亚洲办公室工作?那你得重新和老板谈薪水了。

Asia’s cities are now some of the most expensive destinations for expats, according to a 2018 survey published by international consulting firm Mercer.

根据国际咨询公司美世发布的2018年城市消费调查,如今亚洲一些城市已成为外国移居者生活花费最高的地方。

Top of that list is Hong Kong, which reclaimed the title it last held in 2016 by bumping Angolan capital Luanda off the top spot. Not surprising for a city where even a parking space can cost $760,000.

中国香港击败去年的榜单冠军安哥拉首都罗安达排在榜首。上次香港排名居首是在2016年。香港一个停车位售价就可高达76万美元(约合500万元人民币),因此此次位居榜首也在意料之中。

Of the top 10 cities ranked by Mercer, there were six Asian destinations, with Tokyo at number two, Singapore at four, Seoul at five, Shanghai at seven, Beijing at nine.

在榜单前10位中,亚洲城市占据6席。东京排在第2、新加坡第4、首尔第5、上海第7、北京第9。

Yvonne Traber, Mercer’s global mobility product solutions leader, says Asia’s strong showing is partly down to economic performance.

美世全球流动产品解决方案总监伊冯-特拉伯说,亚洲城市排名靠前部分是由于其经济表现。

“Stronger Chinese monetary regulation, a flourishing economy and a push to have the Chinese yuan as an international currency pushed Chinese cities up the ranking,” she says. “However significant surges in other locations worldwide caused Japanese cities, Osaka and Nagoya in particular, to fall in this year’s ranking.”

她说:“中国强有力的货币调控、繁荣的经济和人民币国际化推高了城市排名。但全球其他城市的显著提升导致日本城市排名下降,特别是大阪和名古屋。”

Mercer’s ranking of 209 global destinations is based on a “basket” of 200 ticket items that reflect the cost of living for expatriates. Accommodation fees, the price of a cup of coffee and even cinema tickets are tallied up.

美世对全球209个城市的排名基于能反映出移居者生活消费的200种商品价格“篮子”,其中包括住宿费、一杯咖啡的价格和电影票价等。

The list is offered as a benchmark to help multinational companies calculate compensation packages for employees taking up foreign postings.

该榜单可供跨国公司计算派驻国外员工的薪水。

The 2018 list shows US cities dropping in rank due to a decline in the US dollar against other worldwide currencies. New York City — the highest placed — fell four spots to 13, followed by San Francisco at 28 and Los Angeles at 35.

2018年的榜单显示,由于美元对多国汇率走弱,美国城市在榜单中排名下滑。纽约在美国城市中排名最高,排在第13位,比去年下滑4位。排在之后的美国城市是旧金山(28位)和洛杉矶(35位)。

European cities were largely climbing the ranks, says Mercer, due to strong local currencies. Paris jumped 28 places to 34, Rome was up 34 places to 46 and Madrid climbed to 64.

美世公司称,由于货币表现强劲,欧洲城市排名大幅攀升。巴黎排名升至34位,比去年提升28位。罗马排名第46(提升34位),马德里排名提高到第64。

Numerous Middle East destinations fell down the ranking due, says Traber, to decreases on rental costs. The highest city in the region was Tel Aviv at number 16.

特拉伯表示,由于租金下降,众多中东城市排名下滑。特拉维夫在中东城市中排名最高,排在第16位。

Mercer’s least expensive city was Tashkent in Uzbekistan, followed by Tunis in Tunisia, Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan, Banjul in Gambia and Karachi in Pakistan.

乌兹别克斯坦的塔什干在消费榜排名垫底,其次是突尼斯的突尼斯市、吉尔吉斯斯坦的比什凯克、冈比亚的班珠尔和巴基斯坦的卡拉奇。

2018 cost of living city ranking

2018年城市消费排行榜

1. Hong Kong (China) 中国香港

2. Tokyo (Japan) 日本东京

3. Zurich (Switzerland) 瑞士苏黎世

4. Singapore 新加坡

5. Seoul (South Korea) 韩国首尔

6. Luanda (Angola) 安哥拉罗安达

7. Shanghai (China) 中国上海

8. N’Djamena (Chad) 乍得恩贾梅纳

9. Beijing (China) 中国北京

10. Bern (Switzerland) 瑞士伯尔尼

11. Geneva (Switzerland) 瑞士日内瓦

12. Shenzhen (China) 中国深圳

13. New York City 美国纽约

14. Copenhagen (Denmark) 丹麦哥本哈根

15. Guangzhou (China) 中国广州

16. Tel Aviv (Israel) 以色列特拉维夫

17. Moscow (Russia) 俄罗斯莫斯科

18. Libreville (Gabon) 加蓬利伯维尔

=19. Brazzaville (Republic of the Congo) 刚果共和国布拉柴维尔

=19. London (UK) 英国伦敦

Also read : Shocking Cost of Living

实战口语情景对话:Irish Cliffs 爱尔兰悬崖

实战口语情景对话:Irish Cliffs 爱尔兰悬崖

Todd: So, Marion, for people that go to Ireland, what’s one place they really should visit?

托德:马里昂,你建议计划去爱尔兰旅游的人去哪些景点?

Marion: Well, one of my favorite spots is called the Cliffs of Moher.

马里昂:我最喜欢的景点之一是莫赫悬崖。

Todd: The Cliffs of Moher.

托德:莫赫悬崖。

Marion: Yeah, and that’s on the West Coast. It’s quite near Galway, so it’s a little bit to the south of Galway, I think.

马里昂:对,在爱尔兰西海岸。离戈尔韦市非常近,我想就位于戈尔韦南部附近。

Todd: OK, so it’s near Galway.

托德:好,所以莫赫悬崖临近戈尔韦市。

Marion: Yeah.

马里昂:对。

Todd: OK.

托德:好。

Marion: That’s a city on the West Coast of Ireland.

马里昂:戈尔韦是爱尔兰西海岸的一座城市。

Todd: What is this place, the Cliffs of Moher?

托德:莫赫悬崖怎么样?

Marion: The Cliffs of Moher are, as far as I know, are the tallest cliffs in Europe.

马里昂:就我所知,莫赫悬崖是欧洲最高的悬崖。

Todd: Really, the tallest?

托德:真的吗,是欧洲最高的?

Marion: Yeah. I’m pretty sure. Definitely the tallest cliffs in Ireland, but I’m quite sure that we have that distinction, that they’re actually the tallest cliffs in the whole of Europe.

马里昂:对,我非常确定。绝对是爱尔兰最高的悬崖,同样莫赫悬崖也享有欧洲最高悬崖这一美誉。

Todd: Wow. That’s pretty cool. (Yeah) So when you go to these cliffs, what can you do? Can you climb down them, or?

托德:哇。太酷了。(是啊)去这些悬崖能做什么?可以从上面爬下来吗?

Marion: No, you can’t. (What) I think if you tried, you might end up in the water and you may never get up again.

马里昂:不,不行。(为什么)如果你这么做了,你可能会掉进海里,而且再也上不来了。

Todd: You serious?

托德:你是认真的?

Marion: Yeah, it’s quite scary. When I went there for the first time, I was quite young, and I went with my mother and brother and uncle, and I remember my mother was holding my hand, and my brother, who was younger than me, was of course more brave than I was, so he was going right up the edge, and looking over and leaning out and I was really, really scared because at that time, there was no barrier to keep you from falling in, so yeah, really, really scary.

马里昂:对,非常可怕。我第一次去那里时年纪很小,我是和我妈妈、弟弟还有叔叔一起去的,我记得当时我妈妈牵着我的手,我弟弟虽然年纪比我小,但是比我勇敢得多,他直接站到悬崖边,探着身子往悬崖下面看,而我则非常害怕,因为当时那里没有防止你摔下去的护栏,所以非常可怕。

Todd: I bet. So when you go to the Cliffs of Moher is it really windy, does it rain a lot?

托德:我相信。你去莫赫悬崖的时候是不是风很大,那里经常下雨吗?

Marion: Yeah, it’s quite windy because you’re right on the edge of Europe, basically you’re facing the Atlantic ocean, which can get quite turbulent, there so you can see the waves crashing up against the cliffs. That’s if you lean over of course. There’s a flat area of rock where many tourists kind of lie on their stomachs and inch their way up to the edge and then they look over, but I was too scared when I went. I couldn’t do it. I thought for sure I’d fall over and die.

马里昂:对,风很大,因为那里是欧洲的边缘,你面对着波涛汹涌的大西洋,你可以看到海浪不断拍打着悬崖。当然这是在你斜着身子往下看的情况下。悬崖上有一块平坦的岩石,许多游客会趴在那上面,一点一点向悬崖边移动以欣赏悬崖下面的景色,不过我当时太害怕了,所以不敢这么做。因为我认为我肯定会掉下去摔死。

Todd: So assuming that someone goes to Ireland and they go to Dublin, they fly into Dublin, how will they get to the Cliffs of Moher?

You Should Go to the Best Beach in Sri Lanka!

托德:假设游客是乘飞机前往爱尔兰,他们抵达了都灵后要怎么去莫赫悬崖呢?

Marion: Um, pretty easily. Actually, from Dublin you have the choice of going either by train, directly across to Galway, then from Galway, you would need to take a bus, so you could go from Dublin to Galway by bus as well, but the train is probably more comfortable and then it would be a shortish bus ride to the Cliffs of Moher, but obviously in Ireland, your best bet is really to hire a car if you can.

马里昂:嗯,很简单。从都灵可以选择乘坐火车,到达戈尔韦市后再乘坐公共汽车,当然也可以乘坐汽车从都灵前往戈尔韦,不过火车要更舒适些,从戈尔韦到莫赫悬崖的车程非常短,如果可能的话,在爱尔兰游玩最好的选择是租车。

Todd: OK. Well, sounds like a good place to go. Thanks Marion.

托德:好,听起来是个不错的地方。谢谢你,马里昂。

Marion: No problem.

马里昂:不客气。

Interview English – Education Background

Do you know how to sleep well? Check these positions!

奔波劳碌了一整天,把自己蜷缩在床上美美地睡上一觉,或者进门踢掉高跟鞋,整个人趴在床上不动弹,昏昏沉沉地睡过去。这些睡姿其实都对身体不利。怎么才算真的睡了个好觉?来看看专家为我们分析睡姿利弊。

in today’s Chinese lesson, we will tell you how to sleep. Finding the most comfortable position while lying in bed can be difficult, with many hours spent tossing and turning.

找到最舒适的睡姿也许很困难,可能你一连几个小时都在辗转反侧。

Now studies have revealed there are certain bedtime poses people should stop adopting due to the negative effects they have on their health.

如今有研究显示,有一些睡姿是应该避免的,因为它们对健康有害。

Here, FEMAIL reveals the four main positions people tend to fall asleep in and whether they’re good or bad for people’s overall wellbeing.

每日邮报网站女性专栏为我们列出了人们最爱采用的四种睡姿,以及这些睡姿对人们的整体健康的利害影响。

哪种睡姿最健康?四种睡姿利弊大PK
CURLING UP IN THE FOETAL POSITION

婴儿般的蜷缩睡姿

Sydney-based sleep coach Elina Winnel from My Sleep Coach said that people need to avoid falling asleep in the curled-up foetal position because of how detrimental it can be.

就职于悉尼“我的睡眠教练”机构的睡眠教练伊琳娜-温内尔说,人们应避免如婴儿般蜷缩入睡,这对健康有害。

‘What we may not realise is that we are putting our body into a fight or flight posture,’ she said.

她说:“我们也许没有意识到身体正处于‘战斗还是逃避’姿势。”

‘If we go to sleep in this position, we may be signalling to our nervous system that we are in fight or flight, and that it is not safe to go to sleep.’

“如果我们以这种睡姿入睡,我们也许在向神经系统传递信号,表示我们正处于‘战斗还是逃避’的状态,这样入睡并不安全。”

She recommends sleeping with an open posture instead as it helps to open up the lung area, allowing people to take deep breaths.
她建议人们以舒展的身姿入睡,这有助于敞开肺部,进行深呼吸。

哪种睡姿最健康?四种睡姿利弊大PK
SLEEPING ON YOUR SIDE

侧卧

Dr Ehrlich believes sleeping on your side is one of the better positions you can fall asleep in.

欧立希博士认为,侧卧是比较好的睡姿之一。

He recommended using a supportive pillow for the head and down the side of the body.

他建议人们不仅头部要枕枕头,侧身也放一个枕头用来支撑身体。

‘From a structural, neurological and muscular perspective, as well as for your airway it is kinder to the body,’ he said.

他说:“从身体结构、神经和肌肉、以及通风的角度来看,侧卧对身体更好。”

‘It also happens to be better for digestion, particularly lying on the left side, considering where the oesophagus enters the stomach.’

“考虑到食道与胃部的连接位置,侧卧也更有助于消化吸收,特别是左侧卧。”

哪种睡姿最健康?四种睡姿利弊大PK
LYING ON YOUR STOMACH

俯卧

According to Women’s Health, in his book, A Life Less Stressed, Dr Ron Ehrlich reveals the positions he thinks we should and shouldn’t avoid in bed.

根据《妇女健康》报道,罗恩-欧立希在其所著的《更轻松的生活》一书中告诉了人们应采用和应避免的睡姿。

‘Stomach sleeping is the worst. It places strain on the muscles of the head, neck and jaw, strains the jaw joints, can also twist the lower back and pelvis,’ he said.

他说:“俯卧是最差的睡姿。这会使头颈部和下巴的肌肉处于紧张状态,让下颌关节过度劳累,还会扭伤下背部和骨盆。”

‘Imagine wringing out a wet towel and that’s pretty much what you do to your muscles and joints while you are asleep on your stomach. It can also restrict your ability to breathe well while sleeping.’

“设想一下拧湿毛巾的过程,你在俯卧时肌肉和关节就在经历这种状态。俯卧还会使你呼吸受限。”

Shelby Harris, a sleep medicine expert and a professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine agrees.

睡眠医学专家谢尔比-哈里斯是阿尔伯特-爱因斯坦医学院的一名教授,她也同意这种观点。

She told Business Insider that sleeping on your stomach puts pressure on your entire body.

她告诉商业内幕网说,俯卧会给整个身体增加压力。

‘You’re likely to wake up with numbness and tingling, and it can increase the chance of muscle and joint pain,’ she said.

她说:“你醒来时可能身体发麻刺痛,还可能导致肌肉和关节疼痛。”

哪种睡姿最健康?四种睡姿利弊大PK
FALLING ASLEEP ON YOUR BACK

仰卧

Many sleep experts have said they think the overall best position for people to fall to sleep in is on their back, including Dr Mark T. Brown.

很多睡眠专家都说过,仰卧是最佳睡姿,这其中包括马克-T-布朗博士。

Speaking to the Chicago Tribune, he said people want to sleep on their back with their neck, head and upper chest slightly elevated.

他告诉《芝加哥论坛报》说,人们仰卧时是想让头颈部和上胸部轻微抬高。

‘This provides rest for shoulders and back and also helps acid reflux, (in which stomach acid flows backward into the oesophagus),’ he said.

What is the effect of lack of sleep to the heart?

银行英语情景口语 第157期:个人理财业务 资信调查(1)

A: Hello, and welcome to IBJ. Which service do you require?

您好,欢迎光临IBJ银行。您需要办什么业务?

B: Hello, Shelly, is it? I’m here on behalf of my company, so I’ll need the Corporate Banking Services in Hong Kong.

你好,是Shelly吧?我代表我的公司到这里来,因此我需要在香港企业金融服务。

A: That’s no problem;can take care of that for you.

没有问题,我能给您办。

B: I need to have a credit check done for my company.

我需要为我的公司做一个资信调查。

A: If it’s this kind of consultancy service, I’ll have to direct you to another department, I’m afraid.

如果是这种咨询业务,我恐怕得要给您转到另一个部门。

B: That’s no problem. Do you offer any other consulting services?

没有问题。你们还提供其他的咨询服务吗?

A: There are many services you can choose from. Why don’t you take a look at this leaflet while I find someone who can help you?

我们有很多服务可供您选择。您不妨先看看这本小册子,同时,我找个可以帮助您的人来。

B: Great. I’ll wait right here,thanks.

好的。我在这里等着,谢谢。

A: I will pass you a Chinese version soon.

我很快会给你发一个中文

English lesson – at the bank report lose of card

English Conversation Study – talking about jobs

Todd: OK, Monica, today we’re going to be talking about jobs.

Monica: Oh, OK.

Todd: And first we’re going to talk about worst jobs ever. Jobs that we had in the past that we hated, so I’ll go first. The worst job I’ve ever had was actually working in construction. And I used to do construction with my father when I was young and I hated it. It was always cold and windy and you were outside, and I just knew instantly that would never do construction. It just was not for me. Mainly because I hated working outside, especially when it was cold. When it was warm in the summer or spring it was good, but, ah, it was not good doing construction out in the cold.

Monica: OK, so it was only the cold you didn’t like?

Todd: Well, mainly. Then, plus well, working for your dad.

Monica: It’s not nice.

Todd: is always not the funnest thing, but yeah, it wasn’t for me. How about you? What’s a job that you hated growing up?

Monica: Well, I didn’t really enjoy working on some orchards that I had to work on when I was young.

Todd: Yeah, you worked in an orchard?

Monica: Yeah, quite often I would work on an orchard during school holidays or during holidays while I was at varsity, and some of the jobs were OK, but some involved getting up very, very early, and I didn’t like that. Getting up at maybe five o’clock in the morning, and getting in my car and then going out to the orchard and then having to pick apples for maybe four or five hours. It could be very tedious and boring.

Todd: Yeah, I bet, I bet.

重点词汇:

Learn Vocabulary from the Lesson

not for me

Construction was not for me.

When something is not for you, that means you do not like it. We only use this phrase in the negative. For example you can say, “jazz music is not for me”, but not the opposite. Here are some more examples using “not for me”.

Raw fish is just not for me.

My wife likes the ballet, but it is not for me.

not the funnest thing

Working for your dad is not the funnest thing.

Here the phrase “not the funnest thing” expresses how something is not enjoyable. It is a softer way of saying you do not like doing something. Here are a few more examples:

Studying English is not the funnest thing to do for some students.

Cleaning is not the funnest way to spend a Saturday.

grow up

What is a job you hated growing up?

The verb phrase “to grow up” refers to a time a person has from childhood to adulthood. People become “grown up” when they get about 20 years old. Growing up also often refers to one’s teen years. Notice the following:

I liked growing up in the countryside.

It can be awkward growing up in a house full of adults.

work on

I had to work on an orchard.

We work “on” an open place outside. We work “in” or “inside” a building. So you work “on” a farm, but you work “in” a factory. Notice the following:

He works on a farm.

I hope to work on a oil rig.

I bet

Yeah, I bet, I bet.

When you “bet” on something, you expect it to happen. You think it is more likely to happen than not. It is similar to “I think”. When people gamble on sports, they bet on who is going to win. Here are a few examples:

I bet you are tired of studying all day.

I bet he comes late to class.

学习英语 – 为什么这么多亚裔女性喜欢染金发?

Interview Skills – Don’t be nervous

Interview Skills - Don't be nervous

Mary:

Tell me a little about yourself. And please don’t be nervous. 
介绍一下自己。请不要紧张。

Jimmy:

Well, I was born in Beijing and went to school there through college. I came to the States in 1990 and earned my M.S. degree in electronics from USC. 
我在北京出生,在那儿一直到念完大学。1990年我来到美国,并在南加州大学拿到电子硕士学位。

Mary:

Do you have any experience? 
你有工作经验吗?

Jimmy:

Yes, I worked for three years at a small computer firm. 
有,我在一家小的电脑公司工作了三年。

Mary:

I see. Why don’t you have your credentials sent to me as soon as you can? You’ll probably hear from us in about a week. 

我知道了。你何不尽快把你的各项证明交给我?你大约在一周左右会得到我们的通知。

Why do you want to work here?

English Interview – What is your expected salary

What is your expected salary

Interviewer:

What`s your expected salary
你希望的薪酬是多少?

Applicant:

I expect to be paid according to my abilities. 
我希望根据我的能力支付薪酬。

Interviewer:

How do you feel about an annual salary of 100,000Yuan plus bonus? 
你认为每年10万元外加奖金如何?

Applicant:

That`s a little less than I expected. But to me, the most important thing is the job and the people I will work with. Moreover, I am sure I will get a raise quickly depending on my background and experience. 
这比我期望的少一些,但对我来说,最重要的是这个工作以及将和我一起工作的人。而且,凭借我的背景和经验,我很快就能得到加薪的。

Interviewer:

That sounds very reasonable. 
这样听起来很合理。

Applicant:

By the way, how long is my probation? 
顺便问一下,我的试用期多长?

Interviewer:

Generally, it is 6 months and during this period you are half-paid. 

般来说是6个月,这段期间你只能拿到工资的一半。

What will be asked in a normal interview?

Interview English – Education Background

Interview English - Education Background

Interviewer:

Which school are you attending? 
你在哪个学校上学?

Applicant:

I am attending Hebei University of Technology. 
我在河北工业大学上学。

Interviewer:

When will you graduate from that university? 
你什么时候毕业?

Applicant:

This coming July. 
今年七月。

Interviewer:

What degree will you receive? 
你能拿到什么学位?

Applicant:

I will receive a Bachelor’s degree. 
学士学位。

Interviewer:

What is your major? 
你是什么专业的?

Applicant:

My major is Business Administration. 
我的专业是商业管理。

Interviewer:

How have you been getting on with your studies so far? 
到目前为止,你在校的学习情况如何?

Applicant:

I have been doing quite well at college. According to the academic records I have achieved so far, I am confident that I will get my Bachelor of Business Administration this coming July. 
我学得不错。根据至今我所取得的学习成绩,我敢肯定今年7月份我一定能获得商业管理学士学位。

Interviewer:

How do you think the education you have received will contribute to your work in this institution? 
你认为你接受的教育将如何有助于本机构的工作?

Applicant:

I have already learned a lot in the classroom and I hope to be able to make practical use of it in your company. My specialization at the university is just in line with the areas your institute deals with. I am sure I can apply what I have learned to the 

我在课堂上学了很多东西,我希望能把它实际运用到贵公司的商务活动中去。我在大学所学的专业和你们研究所所涉及的范围刚好对口。 我相信我能够把我所学到的东西运用到你们研究所的工作之中。

Mandarin Course in Hong Kong – Find a new Job 2018

English Course – Interview for Flight flight attendants Job

English Course - Interview for Flight flight attendants Job

Interviewer:

What made you decide on this type of occupation? 
什么原因使你决定投身这个行业呢?

Applicant:

Oh, to tell you the truth, I love the sky. When I was a child, I imagined flying into the blue sky some day. Now, I think the day has come. My dream will come true. And I like travelling very much and I enjoy working with people. 
哦,说真的,我非常喜欢蓝天。小时候我就梦想自己有一天能飞上蓝天,现在我想这一天已经到了,我的梦想要实现了。而且我非常喜欢旅游,喜欢和人打交道。

Interviewer:

Can you make yourself understood in English without too much difficulty? 
别人容易明白你说的英语吗?

Applicant:

Yes, I think I am quite fluent in English. I got the certificate of the Secondary English Training last month. 
可以,我想我的英语很流利,上个月我拿到了中级英语培训证书。

Interviewer:

Do you know what the responsibilities are for a stewardess? 
你认为对空姐来说,主要的职责是什么?

Applicant:

The main responsibility of the stewardess is to make the passengers relaxed and happy during the flight. And good service is also important. 
主要职责就是让乘客在飞行途中能放松、快乐,而且好的服务也是很重要。

Interviewer:

Are you in good health? 
你现在身体很好吧?

Applicant:

I just had a complete physical examination and I am in top condition. 
我刚做了一次全面的体检,身体状况很好。

Interviewer:

Have you had any nursing experience? 
你有护理经验吗?

Applicant:

Yes, I have two years of nursing experience, and now I am working as a nurse in a hospital. 
有,我有两年的护理经验,现在我就在一家医院当护士。

Interviewer:

How tall are you? What about your eyesight? 
你多高?你的视力如何?

Applicant:

My height is one meter and sixty-eight centimeters. I have never had any vision problems. 
我身高168cm,视力没问题。

Interviewer:

What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses? 
你认为你的优点和缺点是什么?

Applicant:

One of my strengths is my friendliness and open-minded attitude and also I think I have a warm personality. But sometimes, I find it is hard to tell others when I don`t like what they are doing. 
我优点之一就是待人非常友好、开朗,还有我的性格温和。但有时候,我发现很难告诉别人我不喜欢他们的所作所为。

Interviewer:

If a passenger can`t understand what you say, what should you do? 
如果有乘客听不懂你说的话,你该怎么办?

Applicant:

I`ll try to speak in another language or I`ll try my best to use gestures and draw pictures.