Business English – I have too much to do

【他手边有太多事要做了】

 

Vince: Morning, Zina. Just wanted to say thanks again!

文斯:         早安,吉娜。只是想再次说声谢谢!

 

Zina:           Hi, Vince. Thanks for stopping by. How’s the work coming along for the 1) online auction?

吉娜:  嗨,文斯。多谢你又顺道过来了。线上竞标的工作进行得如何?

 

Vince:         Oh, yeah. I’m glad you 2) mentioned that. I think we need to hire somebody new to 3)manage it.

文斯:         对了。我很高兴你提起这件事。我认为我们得请个新人来负责这部分。

 

Zina:  Can’t Elvin 4) handle it?

吉娜:         艾文他处理不来吗?

 

Vince:         I think he’s got too much on his plate.

文斯:         他手边有太多事要做了。

 

 

语言详解

 

A: Will you tell your boss I’m interested in a job?

你会告诉你老板我有兴趣找工作吗?

 

B: I’ll mention it tomorrow.

我明天就提。

 

have too much on one’s plate 贪多嚼不烂】

 

就算一个人的能力无穷,他的时间终究有限,若此时工作任务如排山倒海而来,难免让人怀疑他就算能一心二用,恐怕也免不了焦头烂额的下场,最后没有一样事情能做好。这种情况你就可以用Someone has too much on one’s plate.来形容“(某人)贪多嚼不烂。”

 

A:  I think he has too much on his plate right now.

我觉得他真的是贪多嚼不烂。

B:  I agree. He’s too busy to return my calls, and we have some important business to

finish.

我同意。他忙到没时间回我电话,而我们还有重要的公事要敲定呢。

 

跟这个惯用词相近的还有have a lot on one’s plate,“有很多事要忙”。

 

A: I know you’ve got a lot on your plate. But you also have to consider your health.

我知道你有很多事要忙。但是你也该为健康着想。

B: I can’t agree more.

我完全同意。

 

1) online auction  线上竞标

2) mention  (v.)  提及,说到

3) manage (v.)  管理, 处理

4) handle (v.)  料理,处理。take care of…亦为“料理,处理……”的意思。

Business English – Global brand of clothing

English Course for Business Use – let’s find somebody then

【我知道最适合的人选】

 

Zina:          OK, let’s find somebody then.

吉娜:         好吧,那我们就再找个人。

 

Vince:  Good. I’ll take care of it.

文斯:  好。我来处理这件事。

 

Zina: Wait a second, Vince. You know what? Why don’t you let me handle it?

吉娜:         等等,文斯。这样吧,不好我来处理好了。

 

Vince:  Are you sure? 1) Do you have somebody in mind?

文斯:         你确定?你心目中有人选吗?

 

Zina:  Yeah. Let me see if he’ll do it, and I’ll get back to you.

吉娜:  有。我先去看看他做不做,再跟你说。

 

Vince:        OK. Just keep in mind it has to be somebody who can 2) get along with Elvin.

文斯:  好。切记这个人得要能跟艾文处得来。

 

Zina:           3) Don’t sweat it. I know just the guy.

吉娜:         你别多虑了。我知道最适合的人选。

 

语言详解

 

A: If you need any help, just call.

需要任何协助,尽管打电话来。

 

B: Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

谢谢。我会谨记在心。

 

I’ll get back to you. 我再回复你。】

 

当有人问起你一些事情或是讯息,若你无法立即答复,得要先去研究研究的时候,就可以用上这句话 I’ll get back to you.“我会再回复你。”表达等你一有结论就会主动联络对方的诚意。

 

A: How much are these machines going to cost me?

这些机器要花我多少钱啊?

B: Let me check my figures, and I’ll get back to you on that.

待我先查看一下数字,我再回复你。

 

Don’t sweat it.别花这心思。】

 

sweat 是“流汗”,而若是碰到要费一些周折才能解决的事,流点汗肯定是免不了的。于是sweat 也可以用作名词,表示“苦差事”,引申做动词也就成了“费苦心”的意思,Don’t sweat it 这句短语就是指“别花力气、心思在这上头”。目的是告诉对方不必大费周折,白花力气。

 

A: I’m sorry I forgot your birthday party.

我很抱歉忘了你的生日派对。

B: Don’t sweat it. I had a good time anyway.

别多心了。反正我玩得很愉快。

 

1) Do you have somebody in mind?  你心目中有人选吗?文后的keep…in mind 则是指“谨记在心”。

2) get along with…  与……处得来

3) Don’t sweat it  别白费力气了。

Business English Letters – The 9 Perfect Sample Sentences

Business Chinese Course – Did it work?

SCENE ③  C  电话响起

【灵验了吗?】

 

Zina:           Hi, Dave. This is Zina.

吉娜:  嗨,戴夫。我是吉娜。

 

Dave:  Zina? Zina the Snake?

戴夫:         吉娜?诈包吉娜?

 

Zina:           I got your e-mail a couple of months back.

吉娜:         几个月前我收到了你寄来的电子邮件。

 

Dave:  Yeah? Which one was that?

戴夫:         是吗?是哪一封?

 

Zina:  The one that said, "You’re a 1) creep. / From me you won’t hear another 2) peep. / I hope you3) wreck your jeep."

吉娜:         上面写着:“你这讨厌鬼。/休想我会再理你。/望你吉普车会撞毁。”

 

Dave:  Right. That one. 4) Did it work?

戴夫:         那一封啊。灵验了吗?

 

语言详解

 

A: I told dad you wrecked the car!

我跟老爸说你撞坏车子了!

 

B: You’re not going to get away with this. It was your fault, not mine.

你脱不了关系。都是你的错,不是我。

 

Did it work? 灵验了吗?】

 

要注意work 并不专指“工作”,有时指“灵光、有效”。

 

A: My brain doesn’t seem to work well today.

我脑袋今天好像不灵光。

B: You’re better take a walk outside. But be back soon. We have a lot of work to do this  afternoon.

你最好到外面走一走。但是要快快回来,我们下午有一大堆事要做。

 

A: I understand you had a bad cold yesterday.

我听说你昨天患了重感冒。

B: It’s gone. My grandma’s prescription really works.

已经痊愈了。我祖母的处方真的有效。

 

1) creep  (n.) 令人讨厌的人

2) peep  (n.)  小的声音。这里是指“消息”。

3) wreck  (v.)  撞毁

4) Did it work?  有用吗?有效吗?

Business Mandarin – The cost of new housing in China rose

Business English Course – hold a grudge

SCENE④ A  电话响起   戴夫与吉娜继续说话 

【你别欲擒故纵了】

 

Zina:           No, Dave. I haven’t wrecked my jeep. I’m calling to 1) offer you a job.

吉娜:  不,戴夫。我的吉普没有撞毁。我打来是要提供你工作机会的。

 

Dave: With InfoKing? No, thanks.

戴夫:         去“资讯王”?免了吧,多谢。

 

Zina:           I’d like you to manage a new online auction site we’re building.

吉娜:         我希望你能管理我们新架设中的线上竞标网站。

 

Dave:          I’m not interested, Zina.

戴夫:         我没兴趣,吉娜。

 

Zina:  Don’t play hard to get. The 2) pay is good. You’d be working with Elvin again.

吉娜:         你别欲擒故纵了。薪水很高的。你会跟艾文再度共事。

 

Dave:          I don’t think so.

戴夫:         我想不妥吧。

 

Zina:  Elvin doesn’t 3) hold a grudge, if that’s what you’re worried about.

吉娜:         艾文并没有怀恨在心,若你是在担心这个的话。

 

语言详解

 

A: Life is too short to hold grudges. C’mon, talk to me again.

人生苦短,何须心怀怨恨。来嘛,再跟我说话。

 

B: Well, if you put it that way…

  1. 既然你这样说……那好吧。

 

play hard to get 欲擒故纵】

 

在人际的关系当中,好比男女关系或是聘雇之间的关系,有时候一方会采取不置可否的态度,让人觉得对方若即若离的,在要与不要之间,真叫人拿捏不定。也许你会觉得对方其实是想要,只是爱欲擒故纵、搞神秘,这种情况在美语中就可以用 play hard to get “欲擒故纵”来形容。

A: I don’t think Lisa likes me.

我不觉得莉莎喜欢我。

B: Yes, she does. She’s just playing hard to get.

不,她喜欢你。她只是欲擒故纵。

1) offer (v.)  提供(工作机会等)

2) pay  (n.)  薪水,酬劳

3) hold a grudge  心怀怨恨,挟怨

English Composition – It is so difficult to start a business

English Learning Course – We don’t meet people by accident

English Learning Course - We don't meet people by accident

We don’t meet people by accident.
我们遇见的人不是偶然。

Every person you meet will have a role in your life, be it big or small. Some will help you grow, some will hurt you, some will inspire you to do better. At the same time, you are playing some role in their lives as well. Know that paths cross for a reason and treat people with significance.
无论大小,你见到的每一个人将在你的人生中扮演一个角色。一些人帮助你成长,一些人伤害你,一些人激励你做的更好。与此同时,你也在他们的人生中扮演一定的角色。知道道路不会无缘无故交错,有意义地对待别人。

The best teachers are those who don’t tell you how to get there but show the way.
最佳的老师,并非授人以鱼,而是授人以渔。

There is no better joy then helping people see a vision for themselves, seeing them go to levels higher than they ever would have imagined on their own. But that doesn’t mean you have to fix them or enable them; instead, guide them to the source of their own power. Offer them support and motivation as they find their own way and show you what they’re capable of. All you have to do is believe in them.
再没有比帮助别人自己看到未来、看到他们到达了他们原来也没想到的高度让人更高兴的事了。但这不意味着你不得不更正他们或者武装他们,取而代之的是,引导他们到达自己的能力之源。当他们找到自己的路并展示给你他们的能力时,提供给他们帮助和激励。你所做的就是相信他们。

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up.
绝不轻视他人,除非你在帮助他们成长。

We like to think of life as a meritocracy, so it’s easy to look down on someone who isn’t as successful or accomplished or well educated as you are. But you have no idea how far that person has already climbed or where they will end up. Time could easily reverse your positions, so be sure you treat everyone with dignity.
我们喜欢相信生活是精英统治,所以很容易看低那些还没有像你一样成功,或有成就,或受过良好教育的人。但是你不知道那个人已经攀登到哪里或将要在哪里结束。时间会很容易地翻转你们的位置,所以一定要尊重地对待别人。

Appreciate those who have supported you, forgive those who have hurt you, help those who need you.
欣赏那些支持你的人,原谅那些伤害你的人,帮助那些需要你的人。

Business is complicated, life is complex, and leadership is difficult. Treat all people–including yourself–with love and compassion, and you can’t go wrong.
生意是复杂的,生活是难懂的,领导者是难当的。满怀爱和同情地对待所有人,包括你自己,这样你才不会犯错。

Treat people the way you want to be treated and life will instantly get better.
对待他人,如同你所希望被对待的方式,生活也因此更美好。

An early get up person is more successful in life

Business English Course Lesson 1 – Changing the light Bulb

Business English Course Lesson 1 - Changing the light Bulb

English Lesson One
第一课
A Burnt out Light Bulb
灯泡坏了
One of my light bulbs is burnt out.
旅客:我的一只灯泡烧坏了。
Which one?
接待员:哪只灯泡?
It’s over the mirror in the bathroom.
卫生间里镜子上面的。
I’ll ask the Maintenance Department to send someone to change it
我告诉工程处派人去换灯泡。
May I have your room number?
请问您的房间号码是多少?

Chinese Lesson Two
第二课
Television Problems
电视机出毛病了
I’m having a problem with my TV.
我的电视机出毛病了。
What seems to be the problem?
可能是什么毛病呢?
I can’t get the satellite signal.
我收不到卫星信号。
I’ll inform the Maintenance Department immediately.
我马上通知工程部,
They’ll send someone up to check it.
他们会派人去修理的。

English Composition – It is so difficult to start a business

职场英语:工作前教你如何探索自己的性格特征

职场英语:工作前教你如何探索自己的性格特征

职场英语: 系统化的职业规划方法可以概括为:自我探索(知己过程)→探索工作世界(知彼过程)→决策与求职行动→自我再评估,获得新发现→知觉与承诺。而今天说的性格探索是自我探索的重要部分。

不同性格的人对于工作的看重点是不一样的,不同性格的人适合的公司和职位也大相径庭。有的人适合国企,有的人适合外企,有的人看重职位起薪,有的人看重职位空间等等。

因此,为了招揽合适的人才,在实际的招聘过程中,很多企业会设置性格测试的部分,目的就是运用性格测试的工具与评估应聘人员与所招聘职位的匹配度。通过了解自己的性格,可以利用自己的性格找到适合自己的职位和公司,而反之则可能让自己的性格成为自己职场之路的绊脚石(stumbling block)。

究竟什么是性格呢?性格是天生的,是人对现实的稳定态度和习惯化行为方式的总和,表现为个体独特的心理特征。比如说,今天突然有一个想法,明天又没有了,这不叫性格;再比如说,吃饭时是先吃饭还是先喝汤,走路时是喜欢走大路还是林荫小路等等,这些都属于性格的范畴,它是一种稳定的习惯化的行为。

性格是很难发生变化的,所谓本性难移说的就是这个道理。在弗洛伊德(Freud)的名言“本我、自我、他我”中的“本我”说的就是性格。性格没有好坏之分,因为性格本身就是天生的。不是说外向一定就好,也不是说内向一定就不好。

性格是一种专业化的东西,属于心理学(psychology)的范畴,很多时候我们不应该想当然,认为自己属于什么性格,很多传统认识其实都是有误区的,比方说,不一定话多的人就是外向,话少的人就是内向等等。性格探索主要有以下几种方法:①行为测试和评定②访谈③问卷调查④投射分析。相对而言,第一种方法的准确行和可行性最好,因此推荐大家采用性格测试的工具来对自己的性格类型进行分析和评定。

在性格理论中,心理学家嘉芙莲•谷嘉•布里格斯(Katharine Cook Briggs)和伊莎贝•碧瑞斯•迈尔斯(Isabel Briggs Myers)所创立的MBTI理论(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)最为经典,它继承和发展了心理学家卡尔•荣格 (Carl Jung)的性格理论。MBTI理论将性格分为4个维度(dimension),在能量获得途径方面分为外向型(Extravert)和内向型(Introvert);在注意力的指向方面分为感觉型(Sensing)和直觉型(Intuition);在决策判断方式方面分为思考型(Thinking)和情感型(Feeling);在采取行动方式方面分为判断型(Judging)和知觉型(Perceiving)。4个维度将性格分为了4种不同的气质类型和16种不同的性格类型,当然也就有了与之相对应的不同类型的职业。

其实,每种性格类型本身没有优劣之分。你可以通过性格类型来理解自己,但是不能以此做为逃避现实的借口。诚然,性格中的态度和行为倾向可以发生改变,但那是一个“能量消耗”的过程。就自己的性格而言,很多人总是埋怨自己的性格缺陷,其实,更重要的在于不断地完善自己的性格,而非改变和对抗。

了解自己的性格,才能真正扬长避短;了解他人的性格,才能顺利达成一致;了解自己的性格,才能更好地进行自己的职业规划和有的放矢的准备。最后,给大家推荐两本书:《不必火星撞地球》、《跟乐嘉学性格色彩》;给大家推荐一个MBTI性格测试网站:才储团队

English language course – do you like hiking?

Language Learning Hong Kong – Language Barriers Blamed for Miscues

Language Learning Hong Kong - Language Barriers Blamed for Miscues

Language Barriers Blamed for Miscues

跨国公司高管认为语言障碍导致重大损失

Nearly half the executives at global companies believe language barriers have spoiled cross-border deals and caused financial losses for companies, says a report from the Economist Intelligence Unit, a business research unit of Economist Group, the Economist magazine’s parent.

The report, sponsored by language-training company EF Education First, was based on a poll of 572 senior executives world-wide.

Executives at companies based in Brazil and China said they were most affected by misunderstandings, with 74% and 61%, respectively, reporting financial losses as a result of failed international deals.

Nearly two-thirds of respondents said that misfires in their internal cross-border communications resulted in lost productivity. Among Brazilian managers, the figure jumped to 77%.

To improve communications, many global companies are trying to adopt English as an official language. A multilingual approach ‘is inefficient and can prevent important interactions from taking place and get in the way of achieving key goals,’ Harvard Business School professor Tsedal Neeley wrote in this month’s Harvard Business Review

经济学人信息部(Economist Intelligence Unit)的一篇报告说,近半数跨国公司的高管相信,语言障碍曾让跨境交易流产,给公司带来经济损失。经济学人信息部是《经济学人》(Economist)杂志母公司经济学人集团(Economist Group)旗下的商业研究机构。

该报告的委托方是语言培训公司英孚教育(EF Education First),以对全世界572名高管的调查为基础撰写而成。

驻巴西和中国公司的高管受误会的影响最大,这些人中分别有74%的人和61%的人表示曾因跨境交易不成功而蒙受财务损失。

接近三分之二的受访者表示内部跨境沟通不畅造成效率低下。在巴西的经理人当中,这个数字上升到了77%。

为改善交流,很多跨国公司都在努力采用英语作为工作语言哈佛大学商学院(Harvard Business School)教授尼利(Tsedal Neeley)在本期《哈佛商业评论》(Harvard Business Review)上撰文说,采用多种语言会降低效率,可能使重要的互动无法进行,并阻碍关键目标的实现。

English language lesson – How Holidays release your work pressure

英语阅读 87:不那么愚蠢

英语阅读 87:不那么愚蠢

Two men are sitting together in an airplane.两人在飞机上坐在一起。

They are on a long journey. One man is a teacher.他们是在一个漫长的旅程。一个人是一个老师

The other is a farmer.另一个是农民。

They sit for a while, then the farmer says,他们坐一会儿,然后农夫说,

” Let’s do something to pass the time.“让我们做些事情来打发时间。

Let’s ask each other riddles.”让我们问对方谜语。”

“Let’s make the rules first.“让我们使规则第一。

and let’s make the game more interesting.让我们使游戏更加有趣。

If we don’t know the answer to a riddle,如果我们不知道谜底,

we have to pay, ” says the teacher. .我们必须支付,”老师说。。

The farmer thinks about this for a while, then he says,农夫想了一会儿,然后他说,

“That’s not fair. You’re a teacher,“这是不公平的。你是一个老师,

you know more things than I do.你知道的比我更多的事情。

I am just a farmer. ” “Yes, that’s true!我只是一个农民。”“是的,这是真的!

What do you think we should do?”你认为我们应该怎么做?”

the teacher asks. “If you don’t know the answer老师问。“如果你不知道答案

to a riddle you pay me $100.一个谜你付给我100美元。

If I don’t know the answer to a riddle,如果我不知道谜底,

I’ll pay you $50. “我将付你50美元。“

The teacher thinks about this, then he says,老师认为,然后他说,

“OK. That’s fair. Who’ll go first?”“好吧。这是公平的。谁会先走?”

“I will,” the farmer says.“我会的,”农夫说。

“Here is my riddle. What has three legs when it walks ,“这是我的谜题。有三条腿什么当它走,

but only two legs when it flies?”但只有两条腿当它飞?”

The teacher repeats the riddle,老师重复这个谜语,

“Oh, this is a good one.“哦,这是一个很好的人。

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer.”恐怕我不知道答案。”

He gives the farmer.他给了农夫。

$100, then says, “Tell me the answer.100美元,然后说,“告诉我答案。

What has three legs when it walks, 有三条腿什么当它走,

but only two legs when it fLies?”但只有两条腿当它飞?”

“I don’t know,” the farmer says,“我不知道,”农夫说,

and gives the teacher $50.和给老师50美元。

WORD BANK

airplene n.飞机

journe n.旅行,旅程

riddle/’ridl/n.谜,谜语

fair adj.公平的

英語語法 – 人称代词

學習英語 – 避税港

學習英語 - 避税港

英語每天一詞。今天我们要学的词是tax haven。 Tax haven,避税港,指不用交税或是税率很低的国家和地区。美国总统奥巴马星期一公布了税法改革计划。”The Obama administration hopes to raise $95.2 billion over the next ten years by cracking down on overseas tax havens,” 奥巴马政府希望通过对海外避税港的打击,在今后十年里避免952亿美元的流失。

四月初的时候,”Leaders of the G-20 Summit also pledged to clamp down on tax havens,” 二十国集团领导人在伦敦召开峰会,也保证要对避税港加强监管。好的,今天我们学习的词是tax haven…

英語語法 – 代詞 – 連接代詞 Connection pronouns 10