Learn Mandarin – big universities in the U.S

In Today’s Mandarin course, we will learn about big universities in the U.S.

Todd: Now, Michael, I think you grew up California, right?

托德:迈克尔,你是在加利福尼亚州长大的,对吧?

Mike: No, I didn’t.

迈克:不是。

Todd: You didn’t!

托德:你不是吗?

Mike: No.

迈克:不是。

Todd: I thought you were from Santa Barbara.

托德:我以为你来自圣芭芭拉。

Mike: No, no. I was born in Cincinnati and I grew up, I grew up there and I lived from my teenage years in Michigan.

迈克:不是。我出生在辛辛那提,我是在那里长大的,之后我在青少年时期搬去了密歇根州。

Todd: You’re kidding.

托德:开玩笑的吧。

Mike: So I’m a Midwesterner.

迈克:我是中西部人。

Todd: wow, I didn’t know that. I thought you were a fellow Californian native like me.

托德:哇,我还真不知道这些。我以为你和我一样是加州人。

Mike: No, I’ve been here about ten years, but not native to this state, no.

迈克:不是,我来加州有十年的时间了,不过我并不是加州人。

Todd: Well, so what, you lived in Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio.

托德:你在俄亥俄州辛辛那提生活过。

Mike: Cincinnati Ohio.

迈克:对,俄亥俄州辛辛那提。

Todd: And Michigan.

托德:也在密歇根州生活过。

Mike: And in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

迈克:在密歇根州的安娜堡。

Todd: Oh, you went to the University of Michigan?

托德:你念的是密歇根大学吗?

Mike: Yeah, I graduated from the University of Michigan.

迈克:对,我是从密歇根大学毕业的。

Todd: That’s a good school.

托德:那是一所不错的大学。

Mike: It’s a great school. Yeah, it’s huge though. I think, you know, that’s one thing when you come out of high school, and you go into this huge university, it’s such a different environment. Like I remember the first year, I was pretty lost in how big everything was.

迈克:是一所很棒的大学,非常大。你知道,你离开高中然后进入这所庞大的大学,环境非常不同。我记得大一时因为学校太大,我经常迷路。

Todd: Now, Michael, a lot of people don’t know about American football, but at your university, the university of Michigan, football is huge. Can you describe a typical Saturday football game? Like what happens at the stadium? What do students do?

托德:迈克尔,许多人不了解美式橄榄球,而密歇根大学是美式橄榄球领域的佼佼者。你能形容一下周六进行的典型美式橄榄球比赛吗?体育场会发生什么?学生们会做什么?

Mike: Well, yeah, the stadium at Ann Arbor, at the University of Michigan, I think it holds a 102,000 people. Something like that. It’s one of the biggest in the country.

迈克:密歇根大学位于安娜堡,我想体育场大概能容纳10.2万名观众。差不多是这样。那是美国最大的体育场之一。

Todd: That’s mammoth.

托德:真的很大。

Mike: And every game is sold out. It is, it’s an incredible event, so yeah, all Saturdays are abuzz with excitement for the home games, and it’s just a very big deal. The whole Michigan football program just generates a lot of excitement, generates a lot of money, right, and you know, to tell the truth, though, back when I went to Michigan, I wasn’t a big football fan.

迈克:所有比赛的门票都会销售一空。那是令人难以置信的比赛,每周六的主场比赛都非常令人激动,那是重大的赛事。密歇根的橄榄球运动可以激动人心,当然也能带来许多收益,说实话,我搬去密歇根州的时候并不是很热衷于橄榄球。

Todd: Oh, you weren’t.

托德:哦,你以前不感兴趣。

Mike: I actually never went to a home game.

迈克:实际上我从未去主场看过比赛。

Todd: No, really.

托德:真的吗?

Mike: People ask me that and they can’t believe it because,

迈克:人们听到我这么说的时候都表示他们不敢相信,因为……

Todd: No way.

托德:不可能吧。

Mike: It’s such a big deal.

迈克:因为橄榄球是非常重要的比赛。

Todd: Yeah.

托德:对。

Mike: But you know, I was more of like a, I don’t know what you call it, kind of hippie at the time, and we kind of distinguished between the jocks and, you know people who were interested in sports and the people who were interested in, what, culture of something like that, so I, at that time I wasn’t into the football. I think now if I went back, I would love to see a football game.

迈克:可是你知道,不知道你们是怎么称呼这种情况的,我当时有点像嬉皮士,我们会和那些运动员、对体育感兴趣的人还有对文化感兴趣的人区分开来,所以我当时不太喜欢橄榄球。不过如果要是回到那个时候,我很想去看场橄榄球比赛。

Todd: Yeah. That’s interesting. Man.

托德:嗯,这很有意思。

Mike: But the Wolverines, the Michigan Wolverines, you know and a big source of pride for the University of Michigan.

迈克:你知道密歇根大学狼獾队一直是密歇根大学的骄傲。

Todd: Well, thanks for sharing that.

托德:嗯,谢谢你和我们分享这些。

Mike: Sure.

English Course in Hong Kong – University Life