Learn English in Hong Kong – Social English Lesson 25

Learn English in Hong Kong - Social English Lesson 25

Sue: Well, how did it go last night?

苏: 怎么样,昨天晚上怎么样?

Rose: It went OK.

苏: 还好。

Sue: What does that mean? Did you meet that young girl?

苏: 这是什么意思?你有没有见到那个小女孩?

Rose: No, she 1) stood me up. And she didn’t send me an e-mail to say why.

柔丝: 没有,她放我鸽子,而且也没有寄电子邮件告诉我怎么回事。

Sue: So did you go home?

苏: 所以你就回家了?

Rose: No. I stayed to have a 2) drink.

柔丝: 没有。我留下来喝了一杯。

Sue: A drink? Do you mean an 3) alcoholic drink? But Rose, you don’t drink!

苏: 喝一杯?你是说喝酒吗?但是,柔丝,你不喝酒啊!

语言详解

A: Are beverages included in the price?

这个价钱有包括饮料吗?

B: Yes. But only non-alcoholic ones.

有。但是只限非酒精饮料。

【to stand someone up 放(某人)鸽子】

当你跟人约会,在约定的时间地点却没看到对方,就可以说I was stood up. 我被放鸽子。或是He stood me up.他放我鸽子。

A: I waited for him for an hour! He never came!

我等了他一个小时!他都没来!

B: He stood you up again?

他又放你鸽子了?

A: Can’t you go out with her another day?

你不能改天再跟她出去吗?

B: It’s too late to cancel, and I don’t want to stand her up.

现在取消太迟了,而我不想放她鸽子。

1) stand…up 放(某人)鸽子,跟(某人)约会却没有出现,stood 是 stand 的过去式。

2) drink (n.,v.) 酒(饮料),喝(酒)

3) alcoholic (a.) 酒精的

Related:

Learn English Listening and Reading – Make a plan before dating


更多