Business English Course – hold a grudge

SCENE④ A  电话响起   戴夫与吉娜继续说话 

【你别欲擒故纵了】

 

Zina:           No, Dave. I haven’t wrecked my jeep. I’m calling to 1) offer you a job.

吉娜:  不,戴夫。我的吉普没有撞毁。我打来是要提供你工作机会的。

 

Dave: With InfoKing? No, thanks.

戴夫:         去“资讯王”?免了吧,多谢。

 

Zina:           I’d like you to manage a new online auction site we’re building.

吉娜:         我希望你能管理我们新架设中的线上竞标网站。

 

Dave:          I’m not interested, Zina.

戴夫:         我没兴趣,吉娜。

 

Zina:  Don’t play hard to get. The 2) pay is good. You’d be working with Elvin again.

吉娜:         你别欲擒故纵了。薪水很高的。你会跟艾文再度共事。

 

Dave:          I don’t think so.

戴夫:         我想不妥吧。

 

Zina:  Elvin doesn’t 3) hold a grudge, if that’s what you’re worried about.

吉娜:         艾文并没有怀恨在心,若你是在担心这个的话。

 

语言详解

 

A: Life is too short to hold grudges. C’mon, talk to me again.

人生苦短,何须心怀怨恨。来嘛,再跟我说话。

 

B: Well, if you put it that way…

  1. 既然你这样说……那好吧。

 

play hard to get 欲擒故纵】

 

在人际的关系当中,好比男女关系或是聘雇之间的关系,有时候一方会采取不置可否的态度,让人觉得对方若即若离的,在要与不要之间,真叫人拿捏不定。也许你会觉得对方其实是想要,只是爱欲擒故纵、搞神秘,这种情况在美语中就可以用 play hard to get “欲擒故纵”来形容。

A: I don’t think Lisa likes me.

我不觉得莉莎喜欢我。

B: Yes, she does. She’s just playing hard to get.

不,她喜欢你。她只是欲擒故纵。

1) offer (v.)  提供(工作机会等)

2) pay  (n.)  薪水,酬劳

3) hold a grudge  心怀怨恨,挟怨

English Composition – It is so difficult to start a business