English Learning – what is your schedule like every day?

The relationship between intelligence and getting up early

Woman: So, what is your schedule like every day?

Man: Well, uh, I get up around a quarter to six ( 5:45 ) in the morning.

Woman: Wow! That’s kind of early.

Man: A little. Then, I eat a quick breakfast, and I catch the bus at, uh, 7:00. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the bus stop.

Woman: That’s a pretty good walk.

Man: Yeah, and uh, next, I work at the library from 8:00 to 11:15 or so, and I have classes from noon until about five.

Woman: Um.

English Man: And then I catch the bus back home, and I arrive . . . well, you know how the traffic is. It depends on traffic, but around 6:15, and I make a sandwich or something for dinner, and then I walk to the gym and meet some of my friends, uh, there [ Oh, that sounds fun. ] around 7:00. [ Around 7:00? ] You know Steve? [ Uh-huh. ] Yeah, he and I usually go. Steve and uh, what is her name? The new girl, um. I think her name is Amy.

Woman: So you have a group you work out with then?

Man: Right.

Woman: That sounds fun.

Man: And we exercise, play basketball, lift weights . . . . you know, do things like that . . . for about an hour and a half.

Woman: Wow. Do you do that every night?

Man: Oh, no. I usually go to the gym on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. And on Wednesdays, I take guitar lessons [ Ooh, fun! ] Yeah, uh, in the evening at a music school, you know, just around the corner from my house.

Woman: Oh, that’s convenient.

Man: Yeah, yeah. It’s really nice.

Woman: Well, I was wondering when do you get time to see your girlfriend.

Man: That’s the problem. I only see her on Tuesdays in the evening and on Saturdays and some Sundays. I mean, we usually text each other every day, and I sometimes call her during my lunch break.

Chinese Woman: Oh, that’s nice.

Man: It sounds like you have a very busy schedule.

1. What time does the man get up?

A. at 5:45 a.m.

B. at 6:15 a.m.

C. at 6:30 a.m.

2. What time does he take the bus in the morning?

A. at 7:00 a.m.

B. at 7:15 a.m.

C. at 7:30 a.m.

3. How long does he work in the morning?

A. 2 hours, 45 minutes

B. 3 hours

C. 3 hours, 15 minutes

4. Where does he work?

A. at the library

B. at the bookstore

C. in the cafeteria

5. What does the man sometimes eat for dinner?

A. a sandwich

B. pizza

C. fried chicken

6. On what days does he go to the gym?

A. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays

B. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays

C. on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays

7. The man usually calls his girlfriend __________.

A. in the morning

B. around noon

C. in the evening

正确答案:

1. at 5:45 a.m.

2. at 7:00 a.m.

3. 3 hours, 15 minutes

4. at the library

5. a sandwich

6. on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays

7. around noon

The relationship between intelligence and getting up early

英语美文:有些事总是太晚才明白

有些事总是太晚才明白

英语美文:有些事总是太晚才明白

English:

What Are The Lessons People Most Often Learn Too Late In Life?
有哪些重要的事人们总是太晚才明白?

Just because you think its a good idea, doesn’t mean it is a good idea.
只是因为你认为这是一个好主意,并不意味着这是一个好主意。

Be Careful What You Get Good At
对你擅长的事要小心。

Sacrificing your health to pursue wealth isn’t worth it.
牺牲你的健康追求财富是不值得的。

Don’t take your body for granted.
不要把你的身体当成理所当然。

Right and Wrong are subjective truths.
正确和错误都是主观的。

None of the best experiences of your life will happen staring a computer screen, a phone screen or a TV.
光是盯着电脑屏幕、手机屏幕或者电视是不可能体验生活的美好的。

Keep yourself strong because forever is a lie.
保持坚强,因为并没有所谓的“永远”。

All you need is enough energy to see tomorrow.
你唯一需要的是活到明天所需的能量。

Over-promise sets you apart from the people who under-promise. 
Over-deliver sets you apart from people who just delivered.
过度承诺使你从那些不能承诺的人中脱颖而出。给出比预期更好的结果则让你从那些仅仅完成任务的人中脱颖而出。

The secret of Happiness is to find out what you love and then directing all your energy towards doing it.
幸福的秘诀是找出你所爱的事,然后动用你所有的能量来做这件事。

Keep trying until you get it right.
继续尝试,直到你做对为止。

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
如果我们有勇气去追求,那我们所有的梦想都可以成真。

The only place where our dreams become IMPOSSIBLE is your thinking.
没有哪个梦想是不可能实现的,“不可能”都是你臆想出来的。

Make sure to wake up smarter tomorrow.
每天都要比昨天更聪明一点。

Don’t let words of mouth control you, take control of your life by yourself.
不要让别人的闲言碎语控制你,自己控制自己的人生。

5 Reasons Why You Are Never Too Old To Learn A Foreign Language

Learn English in Hong Kong – International Labor Day

Learn English in Hong Kong - International Labor Day

English: Every year, the first day of May is named International Labor Day and people will have three days’ off. The meaning of of this day is to in honor of the great strike happened in Chicago in 1886. Now, more important meaning has been attached to this festival. It reminds the workers of the legal rights. Many years ago, the workers in the western countries were forced to overwork, then many young people couldn’t stand it and they called for more people to demonstrate on the street. After fighting for a long time, they finally made the government agree to shorten the working hours. People enjoy their leisure time. Most people choose to travel before, but now more and more young people choose to stay at home due to the crowded travelers. It is a good time for people to take relax on May Day.

Chinese: 每年五月的第一天都是国际劳动节,人们将有三天的假期,这是为了纪念1886年芝加哥发生的大罢工。现在,这个节日更重要的意义在于提醒工人们的权益。许多年前,西方国家的工人被迫过度工作,许多年轻人无法忍受之后他们呼吁更多的人在街上示威游行。经过长时间的斗争,他们终于使政府同意缩短工作时间。人们得以享受闲暇时间,大多数人选择旅行,但现在越来越多的年轻人选择呆在家里,因为很多人去旅游就变得很拥挤了。五一是休息的好时候。

Japanese People Save So Much Money!

Learn English for Business Use – And they’re happy with that?

【他们心悦诚服吗?】

 

Mary:  That’s right. And I’m going to be Vice President of Marketing.

玛莉:         没错。而我将会是行销部的副总裁。

 

Dave:          1) Way to go, Mary. A lot has happened during the last few months, hasn’t it?

戴夫:         有一套,玛莉。过去几个月还真发生了不少事,对吧?

 

Mary:          2) You can say that again!

玛莉:         我完全同意!

 

Dave:  What’s up with Vince and Elvin?

戴夫:         文斯跟艾文怎么样?

 

Mary:  They work for Zina now.

玛莉:         他们现在是吉娜的手下。

 

Dave:  And they’re happy with that?

戴夫:         那他们心悦诚服吗?

 

Mary:          3) They’re in awe of her. After they saw how she crushed WebTracker…but I guess you know all about that.

玛莉:         他们很敬畏她。在他们目睹她如何搞垮“网路搜寻家”之后……但我想那你全都知道。

 

语言详解

 

A: That’s a classy car!

那台车真棒!

 

B: Yeah, it belongs to the president.

是啊,那台车是总载的。

 

What’s up with…?……是怎么了?】

 

这个句型可以用来询问人的状况,通常是你发现对方有啥不对劲的时候。

 

A: What’s up with him?

他是怎么回事?

B: He and his girlfriend just split up.

他跟女朋友刚分手。

 

你也可以用这个句型来问事物。

 

A: What’s up with the new air conditioner?

这台新冷气机是怎么回事?

B: The other one broke, so I went and bought this one.

另一台坏掉了,所以我去买了这台新的。

 

1) Way to go. “有一套。”这句短语是用来称赞他人的表现。

2) You can say that again. 我再同意不过了。这句话是用来表达对他人说的话心有戚戚焉。

3) be in awe of…  对……心存敬畏

Business Mandarin – Visiting a Factory

Business English Lesson – I am a freelancer

【我现在是自由工作者】

 

Dave:  Yeah. You don’t need to rub it in.

戴夫:         是啊。不劳你落井下石了。

 

Mary:  And then she 1) made the deal with MicroPower. Vince wanted to sell for fifteen million…

玛莉:         然后她跟“微力”谈妥了条件。文斯本想用一千五百万卖掉的……

 

Dave:  Fifteen? And Zina pushed them up to seventy-five?

戴夫:         一千五百万?而吉娜逼他们出到了七千五百万?

 

Mary:  That’s right. Vince still stops by her office every day to thank her.

玛莉:         没错。文斯到现在都还每天经过她的办公室,跟她道谢呢。

 

Dave:  Anyway, I’m still happy I left. I’m working as a 2) freelancer now.

戴夫:         不管怎样,我还是很高兴我离开了。我现在是自由工作者。

 

Mary:  You really should have stayed with us, Dave.

玛莉:         你当初真该留下跟我们一道的,戴夫。

 

语言详解

 

A: Who do you work for?

你帮谁工作?

 

B: No one. I’m a freelancer.

没有谁。我是自由工作者。

 

rub it in 落井下石】

 

rub it in 的这个动作就像是一抹再抹,越抹越进去的感觉,而这个片语在使用上,就是“落井下石”的意思,明明人家已经很惨了,却还要打落水狗,在伤口上撒盐。

 

A: So, your sister beat you in bowling!

所以你妹妹打保龄球赢了你!

B: Stop rubbing it in, OK?

别落井下石了,好吗?

 

A: Didn’t I tell you over and over again she doesn’t like you?

我不是一再告诉你她不喜欢你吗?

B: You don’t have to rub it in.

你不用落井下石嘛。

 

1) deal (n.)  交易;make a deal with…与……交易

2) freelancer (n.)  自由工作者

Business English – Negotiate the price

Business English – I have too much to do

【他手边有太多事要做了】

 

Vince: Morning, Zina. Just wanted to say thanks again!

文斯:         早安,吉娜。只是想再次说声谢谢!

 

Zina:           Hi, Vince. Thanks for stopping by. How’s the work coming along for the 1) online auction?

吉娜:  嗨,文斯。多谢你又顺道过来了。线上竞标的工作进行得如何?

 

Vince:         Oh, yeah. I’m glad you 2) mentioned that. I think we need to hire somebody new to 3)manage it.

文斯:         对了。我很高兴你提起这件事。我认为我们得请个新人来负责这部分。

 

Zina:  Can’t Elvin 4) handle it?

吉娜:         艾文他处理不来吗?

 

Vince:         I think he’s got too much on his plate.

文斯:         他手边有太多事要做了。

 

 

语言详解

 

A: Will you tell your boss I’m interested in a job?

你会告诉你老板我有兴趣找工作吗?

 

B: I’ll mention it tomorrow.

我明天就提。

 

have too much on one’s plate 贪多嚼不烂】

 

就算一个人的能力无穷,他的时间终究有限,若此时工作任务如排山倒海而来,难免让人怀疑他就算能一心二用,恐怕也免不了焦头烂额的下场,最后没有一样事情能做好。这种情况你就可以用Someone has too much on one’s plate.来形容“(某人)贪多嚼不烂。”

 

A:  I think he has too much on his plate right now.

我觉得他真的是贪多嚼不烂。

B:  I agree. He’s too busy to return my calls, and we have some important business to

finish.

我同意。他忙到没时间回我电话,而我们还有重要的公事要敲定呢。

 

跟这个惯用词相近的还有have a lot on one’s plate,“有很多事要忙”。

 

A: I know you’ve got a lot on your plate. But you also have to consider your health.

我知道你有很多事要忙。但是你也该为健康着想。

B: I can’t agree more.

我完全同意。

 

1) online auction  线上竞标

2) mention  (v.)  提及,说到

3) manage (v.)  管理, 处理

4) handle (v.)  料理,处理。take care of…亦为“料理,处理……”的意思。

Business English – Global brand of clothing

English Course for Business Use – let’s find somebody then

【我知道最适合的人选】

 

Zina:          OK, let’s find somebody then.

吉娜:         好吧,那我们就再找个人。

 

Vince:  Good. I’ll take care of it.

文斯:  好。我来处理这件事。

 

Zina: Wait a second, Vince. You know what? Why don’t you let me handle it?

吉娜:         等等,文斯。这样吧,不好我来处理好了。

 

Vince:  Are you sure? 1) Do you have somebody in mind?

文斯:         你确定?你心目中有人选吗?

 

Zina:  Yeah. Let me see if he’ll do it, and I’ll get back to you.

吉娜:  有。我先去看看他做不做,再跟你说。

 

Vince:        OK. Just keep in mind it has to be somebody who can 2) get along with Elvin.

文斯:  好。切记这个人得要能跟艾文处得来。

 

Zina:           3) Don’t sweat it. I know just the guy.

吉娜:         你别多虑了。我知道最适合的人选。

 

语言详解

 

A: If you need any help, just call.

需要任何协助,尽管打电话来。

 

B: Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind.

谢谢。我会谨记在心。

 

I’ll get back to you. 我再回复你。】

 

当有人问起你一些事情或是讯息,若你无法立即答复,得要先去研究研究的时候,就可以用上这句话 I’ll get back to you.“我会再回复你。”表达等你一有结论就会主动联络对方的诚意。

 

A: How much are these machines going to cost me?

这些机器要花我多少钱啊?

B: Let me check my figures, and I’ll get back to you on that.

待我先查看一下数字,我再回复你。

 

Don’t sweat it.别花这心思。】

 

sweat 是“流汗”,而若是碰到要费一些周折才能解决的事,流点汗肯定是免不了的。于是sweat 也可以用作名词,表示“苦差事”,引申做动词也就成了“费苦心”的意思,Don’t sweat it 这句短语就是指“别花力气、心思在这上头”。目的是告诉对方不必大费周折,白花力气。

 

A: I’m sorry I forgot your birthday party.

我很抱歉忘了你的生日派对。

B: Don’t sweat it. I had a good time anyway.

别多心了。反正我玩得很愉快。

 

1) Do you have somebody in mind?  你心目中有人选吗?文后的keep…in mind 则是指“谨记在心”。

2) get along with…  与……处得来

3) Don’t sweat it  别白费力气了。

Business English Letters – The 9 Perfect Sample Sentences

Business Chinese Course – Did it work?

SCENE ③  C  电话响起

【灵验了吗?】

 

Zina:           Hi, Dave. This is Zina.

吉娜:  嗨,戴夫。我是吉娜。

 

Dave:  Zina? Zina the Snake?

戴夫:         吉娜?诈包吉娜?

 

Zina:           I got your e-mail a couple of months back.

吉娜:         几个月前我收到了你寄来的电子邮件。

 

Dave:  Yeah? Which one was that?

戴夫:         是吗?是哪一封?

 

Zina:  The one that said, "You’re a 1) creep. / From me you won’t hear another 2) peep. / I hope you3) wreck your jeep."

吉娜:         上面写着:“你这讨厌鬼。/休想我会再理你。/望你吉普车会撞毁。”

 

Dave:  Right. That one. 4) Did it work?

戴夫:         那一封啊。灵验了吗?

 

语言详解

 

A: I told dad you wrecked the car!

我跟老爸说你撞坏车子了!

 

B: You’re not going to get away with this. It was your fault, not mine.

你脱不了关系。都是你的错,不是我。

 

Did it work? 灵验了吗?】

 

要注意work 并不专指“工作”,有时指“灵光、有效”。

 

A: My brain doesn’t seem to work well today.

我脑袋今天好像不灵光。

B: You’re better take a walk outside. But be back soon. We have a lot of work to do this  afternoon.

你最好到外面走一走。但是要快快回来,我们下午有一大堆事要做。

 

A: I understand you had a bad cold yesterday.

我听说你昨天患了重感冒。

B: It’s gone. My grandma’s prescription really works.

已经痊愈了。我祖母的处方真的有效。

 

1) creep  (n.) 令人讨厌的人

2) peep  (n.)  小的声音。这里是指“消息”。

3) wreck  (v.)  撞毁

4) Did it work?  有用吗?有效吗?

Business Mandarin – The cost of new housing in China rose

Business English Course – hold a grudge

SCENE④ A  电话响起   戴夫与吉娜继续说话 

【你别欲擒故纵了】

 

Zina:           No, Dave. I haven’t wrecked my jeep. I’m calling to 1) offer you a job.

吉娜:  不,戴夫。我的吉普没有撞毁。我打来是要提供你工作机会的。

 

Dave: With InfoKing? No, thanks.

戴夫:         去“资讯王”?免了吧,多谢。

 

Zina:           I’d like you to manage a new online auction site we’re building.

吉娜:         我希望你能管理我们新架设中的线上竞标网站。

 

Dave:          I’m not interested, Zina.

戴夫:         我没兴趣,吉娜。

 

Zina:  Don’t play hard to get. The 2) pay is good. You’d be working with Elvin again.

吉娜:         你别欲擒故纵了。薪水很高的。你会跟艾文再度共事。

 

Dave:          I don’t think so.

戴夫:         我想不妥吧。

 

Zina:  Elvin doesn’t 3) hold a grudge, if that’s what you’re worried about.

吉娜:         艾文并没有怀恨在心,若你是在担心这个的话。

 

语言详解

 

A: Life is too short to hold grudges. C’mon, talk to me again.

人生苦短,何须心怀怨恨。来嘛,再跟我说话。

 

B: Well, if you put it that way…

  1. 既然你这样说……那好吧。

 

play hard to get 欲擒故纵】

 

在人际的关系当中,好比男女关系或是聘雇之间的关系,有时候一方会采取不置可否的态度,让人觉得对方若即若离的,在要与不要之间,真叫人拿捏不定。也许你会觉得对方其实是想要,只是爱欲擒故纵、搞神秘,这种情况在美语中就可以用 play hard to get “欲擒故纵”来形容。

A: I don’t think Lisa likes me.

我不觉得莉莎喜欢我。

B: Yes, she does. She’s just playing hard to get.

不,她喜欢你。她只是欲擒故纵。

1) offer (v.)  提供(工作机会等)

2) pay  (n.)  薪水,酬劳

3) hold a grudge  心怀怨恨,挟怨

English Composition – It is so difficult to start a business

English Learning Course – We don’t meet people by accident

English Learning Course - We don't meet people by accident

We don’t meet people by accident.
我们遇见的人不是偶然。

Every person you meet will have a role in your life, be it big or small. Some will help you grow, some will hurt you, some will inspire you to do better. At the same time, you are playing some role in their lives as well. Know that paths cross for a reason and treat people with significance.
无论大小,你见到的每一个人将在你的人生中扮演一个角色。一些人帮助你成长,一些人伤害你,一些人激励你做的更好。与此同时,你也在他们的人生中扮演一定的角色。知道道路不会无缘无故交错,有意义地对待别人。

The best teachers are those who don’t tell you how to get there but show the way.
最佳的老师,并非授人以鱼,而是授人以渔。

There is no better joy then helping people see a vision for themselves, seeing them go to levels higher than they ever would have imagined on their own. But that doesn’t mean you have to fix them or enable them; instead, guide them to the source of their own power. Offer them support and motivation as they find their own way and show you what they’re capable of. All you have to do is believe in them.
再没有比帮助别人自己看到未来、看到他们到达了他们原来也没想到的高度让人更高兴的事了。但这不意味着你不得不更正他们或者武装他们,取而代之的是,引导他们到达自己的能力之源。当他们找到自己的路并展示给你他们的能力时,提供给他们帮助和激励。你所做的就是相信他们。

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up.
绝不轻视他人,除非你在帮助他们成长。

We like to think of life as a meritocracy, so it’s easy to look down on someone who isn’t as successful or accomplished or well educated as you are. But you have no idea how far that person has already climbed or where they will end up. Time could easily reverse your positions, so be sure you treat everyone with dignity.
我们喜欢相信生活是精英统治,所以很容易看低那些还没有像你一样成功,或有成就,或受过良好教育的人。但是你不知道那个人已经攀登到哪里或将要在哪里结束。时间会很容易地翻转你们的位置,所以一定要尊重地对待别人。

Appreciate those who have supported you, forgive those who have hurt you, help those who need you.
欣赏那些支持你的人,原谅那些伤害你的人,帮助那些需要你的人。

Business is complicated, life is complex, and leadership is difficult. Treat all people–including yourself–with love and compassion, and you can’t go wrong.
生意是复杂的,生活是难懂的,领导者是难当的。满怀爱和同情地对待所有人,包括你自己,这样你才不会犯错。

Treat people the way you want to be treated and life will instantly get better.
对待他人,如同你所希望被对待的方式,生活也因此更美好。

An early get up person is more successful in life