为什么有的人爱刨根问底?

Angelica: So the book I’m writing starts with a plane crash.

安杰莉卡:我打算以飞机失事作为故事的开始。
Corey: What caused it?
科里:是什么原因呢?
Angelica: It doesn’t matter. That’s not part of the story.
安杰莉卡:这不重要。这跟故事没有关系。

Corey: But characters have backstories, so you should have a backstory for the plane crash.

科里:但是角色都有背景介绍啊,所以你需要介绍一下飞机失事的背景。
Angelica: Okay, the plane crashed because of mechanical failure, or better yet, pilot error.
安杰莉卡:好吧,飞机失事是因为机械故障,或者机长的失误。
Corey: What happened? Was it because the pilot misread the instruments or had a problem navigating?
科里:究竟发生什么事情了?机长误读了仪器数据还是导航出现了故障?
Angelica: I don’t know.
安杰莉卡:我不知道。
Corey: Maybe he or she was incapacitated due to an illness. What kind of illness?
科里:也许是他(她)因为身体不适无法驾驶。那是因为什么感到不适呢?
Angelica: Forget it. Let’s say instead that it happened because of an act of God.
安杰莉卡:不管了。咱们就当这是老天爷的旨意吧。
Corey: Like a lightning strike? That’s not very likely.
科里:就像遭遇了闪电?那不太可能。
Angelica: Okay, how about some problem with the flight crew that caused the cabin to depressurize and the plane to go into a tailspin.
安杰莉卡:好吧,就说是因为机组人员的失误导致机舱减压,让飞机陷入了混乱。
Corey: What was the problem with the flight crew?
科里:机组人员出现了什么失误?
Angelica: It doesn’t matter!
安杰莉卡:那不重要。
Corey: Maybe a member of the flight crew was a hijacker and it was an act of terrorism.
科里:也许机组人员中有恐怖分子,这是一场恐怖袭击。
Angelica: Okay, let’s say that’s what happened. Happy?
安杰莉卡:好吧,咱们就这么介绍好了。满意了吗?
Corey: But wait! Who was the terrorist? What were his aims and what was his cause?
科里:等一下!谁是恐怖分子呢?他的目标和动机是什么?
Angelica: You know what? I think you should put that in your book!
安杰莉卡:知道吗?我觉得你应该把这些写进你的书里面去!

攀龙附凤的人

To understand the way in which lawlessness,violence and chaos did make an impact

要理解无法律约束 暴力和混乱

on the not-so-rosy world of 15th-century England,

对于十五世纪的英格兰所产生的影响

we have something incomparably richer than the list of battlefields and barons,kings and kingmakers.

我们掌握了比战役和贵族 君主以及拥立国王者的名单 更加详实丰富的资料

We have, in the letters of the Paston family of Norfolk,the very first private correspondence in English,

来自于诺福克的帕斯顿家族通信 是最早的英文私人信件

the authentic voice of middling folk farmers, lawyers, would-be gentry, social climbers.

真正反映了中层民众的心声 包括农民 律师 想成为绅士和攀龙附凤的人

Like many an anxious wife and mother,the Wars of the Roses worried Margaret Paston

如同其他焦虑的妻子与母亲 玫瑰战争令玛格丽特·帕斯顿担忧不已

because they were making England a bad place to make and keep a little fortune.

因为战争使得英格兰的人们 无法获取和积攒财富

God, for his mercy, give grace,for I never heard say of so much robbery and manslaughter in this country as is now.

仁慈的上帝 请赐予我们恩典 因为在这个国家 我从未像现在这般 目睹这么猖狂的抢劫与杀戮

And as for gathering of money, I never saw a worse season.

这绝非积累财富的好时节

Seen through Margaret’s eyes,The Kingdom for England might be up for grabs,but the real disaster was shopping.

在玛格丽特眼中 英格兰王国到处烧杀掠夺 但真正的灾难在于物资短缺

As for cloth for my gown,I pray you that you will buy for me three yards and a quarter of such as it pleaseth you that I should have.

用作晚礼服的布料 我希望你能够买足3.25码 并且布料任我选

For a good favor I have done all the drapery shop in this town,and here is right feeble choice.

我已寻遍镇上所有布店 无甚收获

怎么能摧毁光照派

Talkinghotdog问题:
“How can I destroy the Illuminati?”
“怎么能摧毁光照派?”
Illuminati? What’s an Illuminati?
光照派?光照派是什么?
I have no idea how you can do that. You’re gonna have to try to figure out if the Illuminati is real or not.
我不知道要怎么做。你要先弄清楚光照派是不是真实存在的。
You throw Bill Cipher at it!
派比尔·赛弗去摧毁他们!
Take over the world?
统治世界?
I’m trying to do the same thing. Find their weak spot and hit ’em where it hurts.
我也在尝试做同样的事情。找到他们的弱点,然后痛击他们。
If they’re evil, then try to get a ton of tough guys to help you destroy the Illuminati.
如果他们是坏人,那就让一群硬汉帮助摧毁光照派。
You can destroy conspiracies and theories by investigating it yourself.
你可以通过自己的调查摧毁阴谋论。
If you believe the Illuminati exists, um, good luck. Because I don’t think there’s any way to destroy the Illuminati.
如果你相信光照派存在,那我只能祝你好运了。因为我认为没有方法能摧毁光照派。
That’s a real dangerous game you wanna play right now, Talkinghotdog, because, likes, triangles-uh-uh. Illuminati? You don’t wanna mess with that.
那是你现在想玩的一个非常危险的游戏——Talkinghotdog,就像三角形一样,哈哈。光照派?你并不想混淆他们。
It’s not gonna happen. They’re here.
那不会发生的。他们就在那里。
There is no destroying the Illuminati. It’s too late.
没有什么能摧毁光照派。现在为时已晚。
That’s it. You can’t. The Illuminati… is the greater good.
事实是你做不到。光照派是上上善。
Thanks for watching Advice on the React channel.
谢谢大家观看React频道的建议版块。
Don’t miss out. Subscribe!
不要错过,订阅吧!
Want our advice? Comment your questions down below.
想获得我们的建议?在下面提出问题吧。
Bye! Thanks for all your questions.
再见!谢谢大家提出的问题。
Goodbye.
再见。

上海和天津再次加码 新一轮楼市调控潮或来袭

Starting from last Tuesday first-time home buyers in Shanghai have to pay down payments of at least 35%, buyers of second houses have to make 50% down payments, while buyers of commercial properties pay 70%.

自上周二起,上海居民购买首套住房的首付比例为至少35%,第二套房的首付比例为50%,商业地产的首付比例为70%。
Meanwhile, banks have raised interest rates by 10% for home buyers borrowing from the government’s Housing Provident Fund for a second time, with the maximum sum lowered by 100,000 yuan.
对于第二次使用住房公积金贷款的购房者,银行将贷款利率上调10%,最高贷款额调低10万元。
上海和天津再次加码 新一轮楼市调控潮或来袭

Banks are also required to seriously check papers submitted by home buyers to guard against fabrication for speculative purposes. Home buyers will not be able to borrow if their monthly mortgage payment exceeds 40 percent of their salaries.

此外,银行还被要求要认真检查置业者所提交的文件,以防止投机用途的产生。如果购房者每月的抵押贷款支付超过了工资的40%,那么他们将无法借到贷款。
Tianjin said last Monday that it’ll implement diversified credit policies to cool a red-hot property market. For first-time home buyers the minimum down payment on a mortgage will be 30%, versus 20% earlier.
天津市则于上周一宣布,将实行差别化信贷政策给火热的房地产市场降温。首次购房者的首付比例从之前的20%上调至30%。
Those who already own a house and have unpaid mortgages must make at least a 40% down payment when applying for commercial loans for second home.
在已有一套住房并有未还清贷款的情况下,购买第二套房并申请商业贷款的首付比例为至少40%。
For non-local residents who plan to buy their first house in Tianjin’s six major districts and Wuqing district, the minimum down payment on a mortgage will be 40%.
外地居民在天津六个主城区以及武清区购买首套住房的最低首付比例为40%。

琼诺赞·斯茂的奇异故事

There is a rajah in the northern provinces who has much wealth, though his lands are small.

我们印度北部有一个土王,他的领土虽小,财产却很丰富。
Much has come to him from his father, and more still he has set by himself,
他的财产一半是他父亲传下来的,一半是由他自己搜括来的。
for he is of a low nature and hoards his gold rather than spend it.
他嗜财如命而又吝啬非常。
When the troubles broke out he would be friends both with the lion and the tiger
乱起以后,这土王听到白人惨遭屠杀,
with the sepoy and with the Company’s raj.
一面附和叛兵向白人抵抗,
Soon, however, it seemed to him that the white men’s day was come,
可又怕白人一旦得手,自身遭到不利。
for through all the land he could hear of nothing but of their death and their overthrow.
迟疑好久,不能决定。
福尔摩斯探案集 四签名

Yet, being a careful man, he made such plans that, come what might,

最后他想出一个两全之策:
half at least of his treasure should be left to him.
他把所有的财产分做两份,
That which was in gold and silver he kept by him in the vaults of his palace,
凡是金银钱币都放在他宫中的保险柜里;
but the most precious stones and the choicest pearls that he had he put in an iron box
凡是珠宝钻石另放在一个铁箱里,
and sent it by a trusty servant, who, under the guise of a merchant,
差一个扮作商人的亲信
should take it to the fort at Agra, there to lie until the land is at peace.
带到阿格拉碉堡来藏匿。
Thus, if the rebels won he would have his money,
如果叛兵得到胜利,就保住了金银钱币;
but if the Company conquered, his jewels would be saved to him.
如果白人得胜,金钱虽失,还有钻石珠宝可以保全。
Having thus divided his hoard, he threw himself into the cause of the sepoys,
他把财产这样划分以后就投入了叛党
since they were strong upon his borders.
因为他的边界上的叛兵实力很强。
By his doing this, mark you, sahib, his property becomes the due of those who have been true to their salt.
先生你试想,他的财产是不是应当归到始终尽忠于一方的人的手里。
This pretended merchant, who travels under the name of Achmet,
这个被派来的乔装商人化名阿奇麦特,
is now in the city of Agra and desires to gain his way into the fort.
现在阿格拉城内,他准备潜入堡内。

科里布克2013年耶鲁大学

We all will be busy but i’ve seen it in my work in Newark.

我们都会变得很忙但我在纽瓦克的工作中认识到

The true heroes are those people that do the small things Alice Walker’s book In Search of Our Mothers’ Gardens.

真正的英雄是那些做着小事的人们爱丽丝.沃克的书《寻找母亲的花园》

To paraphrase her, she says it so eloquently that the real revolutionary.

她的话很有说服力 我转述一下她认为真正的革命者

Is always concerned with the least glamorous of things the raising of a child’s reading level from 3rd-grade to 4th.

总会去关心那些最不起眼的事将儿童的阅读水平从三年级提升到四年级

The filling out food stamps for people because folks got to eat.

为人们填写食物救济券因为人们要填饱肚子

Revolution or not the taking time to listen to your elders and write things down.

不管革命与否花时间听老者讲话 并将内容记录下来

Because they are our connection to our past and the inspiration for future.

因为这是我们同过去的联系也是对未来的启示

This is who we must be people of great goals and big ambitions but who never yield.

我们必须成为这样的人我们可以有伟大目标和雄心壮志

From telling our authentic truth in every single day My father and mother told me before I ran for office just.

但不能忽视每一天眼前真正的真实我的父母在我从政之前就教过我

Knock on folks’ doors, Cory It’s so important. I go, why, mom? Because so I can convince them? She said no.

记得多敲门 科里这是很重要 我说 为什么 妈 让他们信服吗她说 不

Because in life always remember this who you are speaks so loudly.

因为生活中 永远记住这个你是谁就已经能够说明一切了

People can’t hear what you say be love, be kindness.

大家无法听到你说什么成为爱 成为善

Be justice, don’t let it be something you seek let it be something you embody.

成为正义 不要让这些成为你找寻的东西而要让这些成为你所体现的东西

And so I want to end with one final vignette on this idea of vision You see.

关于异象这个概念 我想最后讲一个小插曲你们知道

I left Yale and moved to Newark, New Jersey I feel so connected to this place here.

我离开耶鲁 搬到新泽西纽瓦克我感觉到同这个地方的深刻联系

From Pierson College to my friends at Eliezer I feel so connected here.

从皮尔逊学院到以利以谢的朋友们我感觉同这里联系很深

But I tell you with all sincerity I had some great professors.

但我可以诚实地告诉你们我遇到过一些伟大的教授

购物杂志

You know how the PennySaver only has my name…-Sheldon!

那你知道购物杂志上只有我的名…-谢尔顿!
They didn’t mention you in the article. Only me.
文章里没提到你的名字,只提了我。
Really?
真的吗?
I know. It’s not fair. Let the anger go, buddy. You just…you relax all your muscles.
我明白。这样对你很不公平。让怒火随风而去吧,兄弟。你就…你就放松你全身肌肉。
Except for your pubococcygeus and anal sphincter. Let’s keep those tight.
除了你的耻尾肌与肛门括约肌。这两条肌你好好绷紧。
Uh, that-that’s not necessary.
不需要这样。
It is, they’re what hold back the urine and the feces. Look, maybe-maybe you shouldn’t read it. It’ll only make you feel worse.
当然需要,它们帮你止住尿液与粪便呢。我想你还是不要看比较好,看了只会更加不开心。
Cooper and his team?
库珀博士与其团队?
You should know I had nothing to do with that.
我完全不知道他们会这么写。
At least they’re talking about the theory. I mean, that’s what’s important.
至少这文章是关于那理论本身,那才是最重要的。
You know, you’re right. Yeah. You know, it’s like when Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created Spider-Man.
没错,你说得对。就像当时斯坦·李和史蒂夫·迪特科创作了蜘蛛侠。
Stan Lee may get all the credit, but Steve Ditko knows he was just as important.
或许荣誉全归斯坦·李,但史蒂夫·迪特科深知他也同样重要。
Even though Stan Lee gets to be in all the Marvel movies. And-and he’s far richer. And he’s a household name, you know?
即使斯坦·李客串了所有漫威的超级英雄电影,比史蒂夫有钱得多,而且他的名字家喻户晓。
Whereas, you know, you say Ditko, and that sounds like a company that makes Dits.
相反,”迪特科”这个名字更像是一个做”迪特”的公司。
That’s not helping.
这话一点帮助都没有。
Well, I’d give more examples, but, well, everyone in your position’s so forgettable.
我本来想多举两个例子,但跟你一样处境的人名字实在想不起来。
Stuart, we’re here.
斯图尔特,我们到了。
It’s nice of you to let him keep staying at your mom’s house.
你真好,还让他继续住在你妈妈的房子里。
Yeah, well, I tried putting him out on the curb, but nobody took him.
是啊,我试过把他扔在前院马路边送人,但没人带走他。

复仇者

“Yes, I am Zorro, but I am not a bandit. I have principles and I fight for them.

“是的,我是佐罗,但我不是强盗,我有信念,我为他们而战。
In California we have corrupt political men, cruel magistrates and dishonest people.
在加利福尼亚,我们有腐败的官员,残酷的治安官和不诚实的人。
I want to change this. I fight to help the poor, the natives and the friars. What are your principles?”
我想改变这个。我努力帮助穷人,当地人和修道士。你们的信念是什么?
“We want to help the poor, the natives and the friars too,” says one young man. “Our principles are the same,” says another.
“我们想帮助穷人,当地人和士兵们,”一个年轻人说。“我们的信念是一样的,”另一个人说。
“Come with me and we can fight together! We can make California a better place to live,” says Zorro.
“跟我来,我们可以一起战斗!我们可以使加利福尼亚成为一个更好地方。”佐罗说。
“But who are you? Where do you live?” asks a young man.
“但是你是谁?你住在哪里?” 一个年轻人问道。
“I can’t tell you. It’s a secret.” says Zorro.
“我不能告诉你,这是一个秘密。”佐罗说。
The young men talk together. “Yes, we want to fight with you. We want justices in California. Our new name is The Avengers!” says a young man.
年轻人一起聊天。“是的,我们想和你一起战斗,我们要在加利福尼亚寻求正义。我们的新名字是复仇者!”一个年轻人说。
“Yes, we are The Avengers.” they all say.
“是的,我们是复仇者。”他们说到。
“Good! We now fight together!” says Zorro and leaves.
“很好,我们现在一起战斗!”佐罗说到。

日本科学家大隅良典因发现自噬机制获颁诺贝尔生理学医学奖

This is Scientific American — 60-Second Science. I’m Steve Mirsky.
Got a minute?
The 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine goes to Yoshinori Ohsumi of Japan for his discoveries of mechanisms of what’s known as autophagy. Break the word down and you get auto and phagy: from the Greek for self, auto, and eating, phagein. So, self-eating. Autophagy refers to a process in cells whereby they destroy themselves and send the parts out for recycling. Cells do this by enclosing their contents in tiny sacks, called vesicles. Those vesicles then get transported to an organelle within the cell called the lysosome. Where the sacks get degraded and the contents are made available for reuse.
Autophagy had been observed a half-century before Ohsumi’s work in the 1990’s while at the University of Tokyo. But it was his research that made clear its fundamental importance. He did that work with baker’s yeast. One way he made his discoveries was to interfere with the process and thus see vesicles involved in autophagy start to build up—this action proved that yeast cells performed autophagy. He went on to identify 15 genes crucial for the process.

大隅良典.jpg

Need quick fuel for energy? Autophagy makes that fuel available fast. Need raw materials for maintenance in other cells? Autophagy gets those materials into the system so the body can respond to starvation and other stresses. Infected? Autophagy plays a part in capturing and killing bacteria and viruses. It clears out damaged proteins and organelles, thus helping to fight the effects of aging. At the other end of the life cycle, autophagy is involved in the development of embryos. It’s truly a fundamental process.
Ohsumi is 71 years old. He’s currently an emeritus professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology. The Nobel Prize comes with a monetary award of about $1.2 million.
Thanks for the minute for Scientific American — 60-Second Science Science. I’m Steve Mirsky.

实现自己的野心

But what seemed like refinement to Richard,

国王视之为优雅

to the barons was evidence that the king had lost touch with their common interests.

而贵族视之为国王与其在彼此利益上 分道扬镳

Richard’s refusal to continue the war with France was an obvious source of irritation for the nobility.

理查拒绝继续同法国打战 这是贵族不满情绪的明显根源

They had positively prospered from foreign campaigns

贵族们就是靠着对外战争发迹的

and built spectacular castles, like this one at Bodiam,to guard against a French invasion.

并修建壮观堡垒 如这座位于波尔蒂姆的 用来防御法国入侵

But it was the king’s high-handedness that finally stung them into action.

国王的铁腕手段 最终激起了贵族们的反抗

By issuing royal decrees, Richard could bypass parliament,

通过传达圣谕 理查不受议会牵制

and he went out of his way to lavish favours on friends and advisers,

对他身边的宠臣和顾问官过分慷慨

men like Sir Simon Burley and Robert de Vere,who was absurdly promoted to be Duke of Ireland.

如西蒙·波利和罗伯特·德·维尔 莫名其妙地被封为爱尔兰公爵

The lords retaliated with their only available weapon – parliament.

贵族们仅有的武器只剩下议会了

In February 1388, five of the king’s favourites

1388年2月 国王的五位宠臣

were charged with abusing his youth and innocence to promote their own ambitions.

被指控利用国王的年轻和单纯 来实现自己的野心

All were found guilty of treason by what became known as “The Merciless Parliament”.

全部被判叛国罪 因此 英国国会被称为”无情国会”

Robert de Vere, the most hated of the king’s confidants,

罗伯特·德·维尔 宠臣中最遭人厌恶的

escaped before sentence of execution could be carried out,but Simon Burley was not so lucky.

在判决执行前逃之夭夭 不过西蒙·波利就没这么走运了

Richard’s queen pleaded on her knees for Burley’s life,but to no avail.

理查的王后乞求饶过波利一命 没有奏效