双方对峙该如何打破僵局?

Having Difficulty Reaching a Group Decision

集体决策时遭遇瓶颈
Derrick: That does it. I give up!
戴里克:我受够了。我放弃!
Liz: Don’t lose heart. We’ll come to a consensus sooner or later.
莉兹:别泄气。我们早晚能达成共识。
Derrick: No, we won’t. We’re hopelessly deadlocked.
戴里克:不,不可能的。我们已经完全陷入僵局。
pod161013.jpg

Liz: It’s true we’re evenly split right now, but we only need one person to change their mind to break the tie.

莉兹:没错,我们现在是完全对峙的状态,但是需要一方中改变想法打破僵局。
Derrick: The trouble is, everybody seems to have made up their minds and they’re beginning to dig in their heels.
戴里克:问题是,双方看似都拿定主意并且开始拒不让步。
Liz: Before they do, let’s take one more vote. Maybe somebody has changed their mind.
莉兹:在此之前,咱们再投一次票。也许有人会改变主意呢。
Derrick: I doubt it. Nobody wants to be outvoted so both sides are trying to maintain the status quo. They’d rather be deadlocked than on the losing side.
戴里克:难说。没有人愿意以票数少出局,因此双方会努力维持这种平衡。他们宁愿僵持不下也不愿败下阵来。
Liz: But if we don’t reach an agreement, we’ll have to come back tomorrow and continue our discussions and deliberations.
莉兹:但是如果我们无法达成一致,明天还得回来继续探讨和协商。
Derrick: You’re right! I can’t spend another day in this room. I’ve held out long enough.
戴里克:说的对!我实在受不了在这间屋子里再待一天了。我已经到了极限了。
Liz: What do you mean?
莉兹:你这话是什么意思?
Derrick: The only way I’m getting out of here is to change sides!
戴里克:远离此地的唯一办法就是改变现有立场!