Don’t push your luck 别得寸进尺了

being greedy

Zina:           So will you come to work with us?

吉娜:         所以你要来跟我们工作吗?

Dave:  Can I use my green pad again to write you admiring notes?

戴夫:         我还能再用我的绿色便条纸,写爱慕的话语给你吗?

Zina:  We’ll have to 1) negotiate that. It’s a possibility.

吉娜:         这我们再研究研究。可能性是有的。

Dave:  You miss me, don’t you?

戴夫:         你很想我,对不对?

Zina:  Don’t push your luck, Dave.

吉娜:         你别得寸进尺了,戴夫。

Dave:         OK, I’m in. When do I start?

戴夫:  好,我加入。何时开工?

Zina:           As soon as you can get here. We’ll be waiting for you.

吉娜:         等你一到这里就开工。 我们恭候大驾。

语言详解

A:  He’s good at negotiating business deals.

他很擅于协商生意上的条件。

B:  Then talk him into working for us.

那就说服他们帮我们做事。

push one’s luck 得寸进尺】

人有时候不懂得察言观色,吃了一点甜头还不知节制,若是你遇到这种“得寸进尺”push one’s luck 的人,就可以送他这句话 Don’t push your luck.“你别得寸进尺了。” 给他来点小小的警告,以免对方乐极生悲。

A:  I will be in charge of this company in five years.

我会在五年内掌管这家公司。

B:  Don’t push your luck. If the boss hears you say that, you’ll be without a job.

你别得寸进尺。要是老板听到你说这话,你连工作都会没有。

I’m in. 我加入】

I’m in.这个好用又好记的短句的意思是“我加入”。举凡你被询问到参加的意愿,只要你想加入,都可以用上这个句型;

相反地来说,若你不想加入,或是加入了以后想要放弃,你就可以说 I’m out.“我退出,我放弃”。

A:  We’re all going swimming in the lake. Are you coming?

我们要去湖中游泳,你要来吗?

B:  Yep, I’m in.

好,我加入。

1) negotiate (v.)  协调,商议

Learn Chinese Idioms – Without loophole